need help with transmission light and no labekd button! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mheidemanjr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mheidemanjr
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation need help with transmission light and no labekd button!

hey all i am new 2 bimmerworkz and bmws all together. i just bought my first one 1 week ago and i love it. i got a 92 318 with 68k origanle miles. ok so i went through the manual and it says the yellow light with a gear around an exclimation point is for auto tranny issues well that light is on in my car but it is a 5 speed?? any help their would be awsome

question 2 is their is a press button on the lower right side of steering wheel coulme that is not labeled or in the manual it is on the oposite side as dimmer switch and has red on the sides when the button is not pressed in??

quetion 3 the car starts and idels great but after i drove it for 5 miles or so the rpms started jumpping fro 500 to bout 1800 or so and when the car is in gear it will give it self gas and pull throw the rpms ?

i know i am asking alot but any help would be great thanx guys looking foward to doing a lot of postig on this great bimmer site!@!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I think your MAF is playing up thats what I would goo for 1st ( this would also put light on as its engine management) as for the red button just try it out .

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 AM
n00b

skreech is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem with my auto transmision light on, marti are you saying that it does not have to be something wrong in the transmision but could be other things that turn the cog light on? I also find that if the light comes on and i pull over and turn the ignition off for a minute then turn it back on the cog light goes off and the gears go back to normal for a while. T hen comes back on quick if in town work not so quick on the motorway.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreech View Post
I have the same problem with my auto transmision light on, marti are you saying that it does not have to be something wrong in the transmision but could be other things that turn the cog light on? I also find that if the light comes on and i pull over and turn the ignition off for a minute then turn it back on the cog light goes off and the gears go back to normal for a while. T hen comes back on quick if in town work not so quick on the motorway.
So you are saying you have a problem with the auto trans ??

As for the light its engine management which covers a vast array of things.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
n00b

Marti in the book the light says transmision probs so i guess yes but i dont know. spoke to a bloke today who is going to stick it on the computer and find the fault codes from the gearbox will let you know. The question is if it cost loads do you get it fixed on an old car that cost me £1200 [wanted 1800] or run into the ground. I like this car, nickleback on the sound system and running right its the bees but thinking px and get a newer one or spend the money and have a bloody good car old yes but only 89000 on the clock. Is the next 3 much better? I spend more time on my bike than the car but i like both. ps bike is a honda blackbird, BMW2.8 does not come close in perfomance. BUT i have to carry shoping somtimes.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Help from over the pond

The light that comes on is engine management, so your box is probably fine, it can also come on for something as small as the Mass Air Sensor, so I would't worry to much, although let me know what the computer comes up with.

Also the box is due for a fluid and filter change, normally around 80,000. So this may have also triggered the light.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
n00b

Ok, the bloke stuck it on the computer and the words CRANK POSITIONING SENSOR came up . so im quite happy with that he said he has had loads of these probs. He is also changing my gearbox and filter, so result Thanks .
#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
n00b

oppps,gearbox oil that shoud have been. Also i said i had a problem with starting the car when warm and he said this sensor if breaking down would cause this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)