Need Help Identifying Water/Heater Valve Part - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1992 BMW 325i
Photos:
KarmaPolicia! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KarmaPolicia! Send a message via Yahoo to KarmaPolicia!
Need Help Identifying Water/Heater Valve Part

I have a 92' 325i that recently overheated. I looked around and found the problem which appears to be a broken valve. Not really sure what it runs (I'm guessing the coolant) but it's located against the firewall.

I looked through realOEM.com but couldn't locate the part in the diagrams. If anyone knows the OEM# and/or the actual description of the part, i'll really appreciate your help. Thanks.
KarmaPolicia! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Can you include a picture that isn't zoomed in so far? I am having trouble locating this in the engine bay
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Send a message via AIM to KarmaPolicia! Send a message via Yahoo to KarmaPolicia!
Sorry for the quality of the picture (cellphone). I'll try to take a better photo once I get a hold of a digital camera.

Basically the part I'm talking about has three valve connections. Two of those valves connect via rubber hoses (OEM#64211394292 & OEM#64211387424) to the water valve (OEM#64118375792).

If you look at the "HEATER AND AIR CONDITIONING => WATER PUMP, VALVE, HOSES" diagram on realOEM, you might get an idea of what I'm talking about. Again, sorry for the picture provided and I'll be sure to post up a better version of it ASAP.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
it's the heater valve, when your heat is off it's closed, when you turn on your heat, it opens and coolant flows through the valve through the connection on the firewall and into your heater core, which gives you heat

i know all to well about it, because I've had the lovely experience of changing one in the middle of winter in my frozen garage, just to find out, the heater valve wasn't the problem and the problem is most likely a clogged heater core, so my car still doesn't have heat, which doesn't matter now but i'll fix it sometime soon when i get a chance

sorry i'm rambling, but yeah that's your heater valve, I don't understand how it caused your car to overheat, is it leaking?, and also if your car overheated you could have blown your headgasket, but lets hope not
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHAB323IS
it's the heater valve, when your heat is off it's closed, when you turn on your heat, it opens and coolant flows through the valve through the connection on the firewall and into your heater core, which gives you heat

i know all to well about it, because I've had the lovely experience of changing one in the middle of winter in my frozen garage, just to find out, the heater valve wasn't the problem and the problem is most likely a clogged heater core, so my car still doesn't have heat, which doesn't matter now but i'll fix it sometime soon when i get a chance

sorry i'm rambling, but yeah that's your heater valve, I don't understand how it caused your car to overheat, is it leaking?, and also if your car overheated you could have blown your headgasket, but lets hope not
Yeah the groove or thread around one of the heater valves (specifically the left of the 3) broke off. I'm guessing the hose connected to it was just dangling off, which completely depleated the coolant in the reservoir tank, and it explains the huge puddle of coolant on the garage floor the following morning. I might be wrong though, but it makes a plausible reason.

Is it too much of a trouble to give me a general walkthrough? I unscrewed the nut but the darn still won't budge. Also, do you know where I can source the part? I tried looking for the OEM# but I had no luck finding it and I'm not a big fan of heading over to a local BMW dealership. I'd really appriciate the help man, you've already helped a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)