need help with getting smooth shifts - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sheeeedy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
need help with getting smooth shifts

i had my mechanic drive my 325i around and check out my clutch since its never been changed and its just got to around 112000 miles. He says its in perfect condition. I just put a UUC clutch stop on it and made it so once i get off the clutch it hits the friction point. now my question is when i shift say from 1st to 2nd ill get of the throttle and disengage the clutch and thats all fine and dandy, then i take it outa 1st nice an smooth then rest it onto 2nd and when the rev drops to where it wants it to be it slides into 2nd great. but the problem is once its in the revs drop to low to just let the clutch engage. So should i add throttle too when i engage the clutch to get the revs back up? buts its not too smooth then. Am i doing something wrong? any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm understanding correctly, you're taking too long to actually shift.

You say "i take it outa 1st nice an smooth then rest it onto 2nd and when the rev drops to where it wants it to be it slides into 2nd great".

Why are you waiting for the revs to drop before you put it in 2nd? When you come off the throttle/clutch in, immediately put it in 2nd and start letting the clutch out. Catch the revs on the way down instead of having to bring them back up with the throttle (or the clutch).

I hope that makes sense.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
So you're trying to shift without giving it gas? How about you have your mechanic teach you how to drive too. Sorry if that's rude, but wow.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
4th Gear Member

carguy13 is on a distinguished road
Damn, i've always let up on the gas for a brief second while i change gears...is that not how it's supposed to be done?

Gas...Release Gas...Clutch In....Switch Gears....Clutch Out....Gas

Is that not the right sequence?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:45 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy13 View Post
Damn, i've always let up on the gas for a brief second while i change gears...is that not how it's supposed to be done?

Gas...Release Gas...Clutch In....Switch Gears....Clutch Out....Gas

Is that not the right sequence?
No, you're right. I'd just modify it as follows:

Gas...Release Gas/Clutch In simultaneously....Switch Gears....Clutch Out/Gas In simultaneously

It seems like the original poster is not applying gas after engaging the clutch. Also, like Torque said, the OP may be taking too long to shift.

#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:44 AM
4th Gear Member

carguy13 is on a distinguished road
oh right on. yeah i guess now that i think about it that's what i do...

just making sure i wasn't messing up my tranny...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)