Need help with engine rebuild - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tooserious4u79 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need help with engine rebuild

I have a 1993 bmw 318i. I bought it with an engine knock I think it might be a conrod sounds to harsh to be a lifter. What I plan on doing is rebuilding the engine. Some of the shops around here want to charge me upwards to about $2K for an engine rebuild I know it can be done cheaper. Just because the car is a bmw, when ever you call a junk yard there is a $400 mark up on major parts. One guy quoted me $800 for an m42 that had 200,000+ miles on it. My question is what happens to the block if there is scoring? If I have to go up in piston size what crank will I have to use. If I have to change the crank do I have to change the camshafts. I eventually want to turbocharge this car at first I wanted to swap in a 325i engine in it but there isn't too much info on the swap (but if you have a parts list please post it) so for right now I want to get it on the road. The car is nice sitting in the driveway but would look even better on the street. So if anyone close to or live near Hampton, Virginia and is really good a rebuilding engines please contact me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly what is knocking until you pull it apart. Could be a rod, craked piston etc.. You will start losing oil pressure if it is a rod.
My suggestion on an engine that old is to to do a complete rebuild and not cut corners. You will need to have the crank machined, rods etc. If the block is scored or the cylinders are out of round then the block will need to be bored and have oversized pistons and rings put in.A scored block does not affect the crank or camshafts...most likely the cams will be ok.
If you are going to turbocharge it build it strong with forged pistons.

You should have the valves ground and the head checked for straightness as well.

This is a very short synopsis and there is a lot involved....I wouldn't think $2,000 would cover a good rebuild.

you will need ...crankshaft, rods? pistons? rings, an engine gasket set, cam bearings, main bearings, rod bearings, oil pump, water pump, hoses, belts, plugs...just to name a few. There are also many special tools involved and the expertise to use them. Not a job you should tackle without some good help.
My neighbor just pulled his Porshe engine apart and doesn't know which cam followers cam out of which hole...is not sure which rod cap goes with which rods...doesn't remember which way the pistons go etc. etc. Not trying to discourage you, but there are alot of details any engine builder will know automatically....take your time and ask questions if you are not sure. A good book is a must.
Hope this at least points you in the right direction

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)