Need Help Engine Dies After Starting - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:14 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i have 93 318i which recently gave me problems. when i start the engine, it makes a struggling/ choking kind of sound and then dies. to keep the engine running i would need to keep gas it, if not it dies out immediately.
does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? anyone with/had a similar problem and fixed it? i would like to know your story. thanks guys

VIEN46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member
 
abemcclellan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
abemcclellan is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't have a story, but you might want to check the air mass flow sensor. that might be messed up. just a thought on the top of my head.
abemcclellan is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 04:24 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
do you think it could be the the fuel pump. cause i read somewhere online that the early e36 models has a shitty fuel pump design, if driven on low gas( below 1/4 tank) it burns the pump. because the pump relies on the gas to keep it cool. and dumbass "me" been driving on low gas. ghead
VIEN46 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 04:46 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cairo, Egypt.
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grtmoby is an unknown quantity at this point
I recommend checking these things in order each on its own;

1- Remove he air mass meter plug and start the engine.
2- Remove the idle actuator plug.
3- on the front of the intake manifold there are two plugs, remove the one on the left (throttle potentiomete sensor).

Inform of the situation...
grtmoby is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:01 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
m33sh3ll8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by VIEN46@Dec 21 2004, 12:14 AM
i have 93 318i which recently gave me problems. when i start the engine, it makes a struggling/ choking kind of sound and then dies. to keep the engine running i would need to keep gas it, if not it dies out immediately.
does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? anyone with/had a similar problem and fixed it? i would like to know your story. thanks guys


[snapback]255367[/snapback]
I have the same problem right now..let me know if you find out what the problem is. I'm actually taking my car to a mechanic tomorrow morning.
m33sh3ll8 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:45 AM
n00b
 
Ebb_N_Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ebb_N_Flow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by m33sh3ll8+Dec 21 2004, 05:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(m33sh3ll8 @ Dec 21 2004, 05:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-VIEN46@Dec 21 2004, 12:14 AM
i have* 93 318i which recently gave me problems. when i start the engine, it makes a struggling/ choking kind of sound and then dies. to keep the engine running i would need to keep gas it, if not it dies out immediately.
does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? anyone with/had a similar problem and fixed it? i would like to know your story. thanks guys


[snapback]255367[/snapback]
I have the same problem right now..let me know if you find out what the problem is. I'm actually taking my car to a mechanic tomorrow morning.
[snapback]255460[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
it could be your idle control... is the check engine light coming up??? if so take it and have the code read

96 328i 5pd
94 Acura Legend GS
Ebb_N_Flow is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
quality
 
Delmarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I remember the first time I came to this BMW forum I had this problem. And it is definately fuel system related. I ended up paying $480 at the dealership to get get a new Air Mass Flow meter replaced (which I found out later usually sells for $20 on ebay and the DIY is pretty easy from what i've heard)

In fact your best senario is that you are putting weak gas in your car (under 90 grade at the pump) I usually put 91 or 93.

Then it could be any problem from your fuel tank to your engine. Like someone said already the weakest part of that system are the primary pumps and the Air Mass Sensor that get replaced/repaired the most.

Good Luck

Delmarco is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i took it to the shop yesterday and they checked it out saying that it has something to do with the air. he said that the car was taking in too much gas and not enough air,making it to rich to mix properly. so then he showed me this diagram of the piece that i need to replace, i think i was the airflow mass meter. anybody knows if it is hard to install this piece? or where i can get it cheap?
VIEN46 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Neutral Member
 
bpowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bpowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Just want to clarify the problem. When you start your car, it runr rough/chokes, but if you keep the throttle above, say, 1500 rpm, it runs fine?

Curious because since the temps have dropped here in NY I'm having a tough time starting my car in the morning -- sounds like it's not running on all 4 cylinders, so I figured the plugs were going bad. Anyway, I began to play with the idle, and if I keep the idle just above 1,000, it runs fine. Guess I should look into the AMS.
bpowers is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cairo, Egypt.
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grtmoby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by VIEN46@Dec 23 2004, 05:16 AM
i took it to the shop yesterday and they checked it out saying that it has something to do with the air. he said that the car was taking in too much gas and not enough air,making it to rich to mix properly. so then he showed me this diagram of the piece that i need to replace, i think i was the airflow mass meter. anybody knows if it is hard to install this piece? or where i can get it cheap?
[snapback]256779[/snapback]
the installation of the air mass meter is a piece of cake, pretty easy to do it on your own. I think you may find it very cheap on ebay...

Have you tried to disconnect its plug and start the engine, does it run fine in this situation or not.
grtmoby is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bpowers@Dec 23 2004, 10:17 AM
Just want to clarify the problem. When you start your car, it runr rough/chokes, but if you keep the throttle above, say, 1500 rpm, it runs fine?

Curious because since the temps have dropped here in NY I'm having a tough time starting my car in the morning -- sounds like it's not running on all 4 cylinders, so I figured the plugs were going bad. Anyway, I began to play with the idle, and if I keep the idle just above 1,000, it runs fine. Guess I should look into the AMS.
[snapback]257153[/snapback]
when i start my car the engine turns then dies immediately. has like a choking/ sputtering like sound before it goes out. even though i keep the rpm up, the engine still dies it just does holds it's idle.
VIEN46 is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by grtmoby+Dec 23 2004, 02:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grtmoby @ Dec 23 2004, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-VIEN46@Dec 23 2004, 05:16 AM
i took it to the shop yesterday and they checked it out saying that it has something to do with the air. he said that the car was taking in too much gas and not enough air,making it to rich to mix properly. so then he showed me this diagram of the piece that i need to replace, i think i was the airflow mass meter. anybody knows if it is hard to install this piece? or where i can get it cheap?
[snapback]256779[/snapback]
the installation of the air mass meter is a piece of cake, pretty easy to do it on your own. I think you may find it very cheap on ebay...

Have you tried to disconnect its plug and start the engine, does it run fine in this situation or not.
[snapback]257283[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

yea i tried disconnecting it and pluging it back in, still no difference. but i found a used air mass meter on ebay for like $30. so i'l plug that in see if thats really the problem. if not then the shop was lying to me. i'l let you guys know asap. thanks for all your responses and help!
VIEN46 is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:07 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cairo, Egypt.
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grtmoby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by VIEN46+Dec 24 2004, 03:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIEN46 @ Dec 24 2004, 03:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by grtmoby@Dec 23 2004, 02:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-VIEN46
Quote:
@Dec 23 2004, 05:16 AM
i took it to the shop yesterday and they checked it out saying that it has something to do with the air. he said that the car was taking in too much gas and not enough air,making it to rich to mix properly. so then he showed me this diagram of the piece that i need to replace, i think i was the airflow mass meter. anybody knows if it is hard to install this piece? or where i can get it cheap?
[snapback]256779[/snapback]


the installation of the air mass meter is a piece of cake, pretty easy to do it on your own. I think you may find it very cheap on ebay...

Have you tried to disconnect its plug and start the engine, does it run fine in this situation or not.
[snapback]257283[/snapback]
yea i tried disconnecting it and pluging it back in, still no difference. but i found a used air mass meter on ebay for like $30. so i'l plug that in see if thats really the problem. if not then the shop was lying to me. i'l let you guys know asap. thanks for all your responses and help!
[snapback]257300[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I meant to turn the engine on while the plug is disconnected it might take one or two trials but it will run. See if this ends the problem....
grtmoby is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 PM
n00b
 
Ebb_N_Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ebb_N_Flow is an unknown quantity at this point
Before you go much further..... is your CHECK ENGINE light on ???
if so, get the code read before you do anything else, if not good luck on diagnosis

and by taking it to the shop what exactly do you mean by shop.... is it a reputable bmw specialist or just some joe grease monkey ....
if its the latter pls do yourself and your car a favor and take it to some1 who specializes in bmw's

96 328i 5pd
94 Acura Legend GS
Ebb_N_Flow is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:00 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIEN46 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebb_N_Flow@Dec 23 2004, 03:41 PM
Before you go much further..... is your CHECK ENGINE light on ???
if so, get the code read before you do anything else, if not good luck on diagnosis

and by taking it to the shop what exactly do you mean by shop.... is it a reputable bmw specialist or just some joe grease monkey ....
if its the latter pls do yourself and your car a favor and take it to some1 who specializes in bmw's
[snapback]257315[/snapback]
YES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON... AND WHEN I SAID "SHOP" I DID MEAN A CERTIFIED BMW SERVICE SHOP. IT'S CALLED "BAVARIAN MOTOR EXPERTS"...I DON'T THINK I WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO TAKE IT TO A REGULAR SHOP.
VIEN46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help...92 318I Gas Engine Sounds Like a Diesel ? DougJP 3-Series (E36) 13 04-11-2006 12:56 AM
Bad Engine Idle And Fault Not Found.. Paraklas 3-Series (E21, E30) 10 06-16-2005 10:25 PM
BMW P83 Engine triggrhaapi Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk 0 07-21-2003 03:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome