Need Help ASAP, please..removing ip cluster 98 323is - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1998 BMW 323is
Photos:
Mike C is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Help ASAP, please..removing ip cluster 98 323is

I had a light behind the gas gauge go out. I can't get the cluster out. I removed the two screws but it won't come out. I even poped out the light switch/vent assy. I can get my hand behind it but it wont pop out. What's the trick? Am I missing something?

TIA!

Mike
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1997 BMW M3
Photos:
paco1076 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to paco1076
Here is a write up on how to remove the gauge cluster from the dash. Good luck! Sounds like you should be able to wiggle it out...

Gauge cluster disassemble

-2 top screws on the front , remove them tox again (short stubby attachment is easier in this situation)
-using a small flat object (screwdriver or knife) you can wedge the gauge cluster out
-3 connecters on the back, first disconnect the white than the blue and the small black (right to left) the connectors use a flip connection, where you press the tab above the arm and then flip the arm up.
-remove the whole cluster.
-5 tox screws in the back hold the back piece from the front, like in the pictures provided by delmarco
-to remove the dials themselves there are three black and white pillars... you need to turn them counter clockwise until the white part is clear of the .... lol clear part of the dial setup.. You may need a little extra help here in the form of some sort of vice grips or pliers because i found it kinda tough to turn the whole pillar (not just the white part the black needs to turn as well) the necessary amount to release the dials. Just be careful when using any tools.
Once you released the dials your set to install whatever you wish..
Old 01-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1998 BMW 323is
Photos:
Mike C is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks paco1076.

I ended up, of all things using the search tool to find this cluster removal. The one thing I wasn't doing was using a screwdriver to pop the tabs out (or down). I've had it out at least 10 times today. Ended up having to go to the dealer twice, to get 2 different bulbs. I thought it was the small gas bulb, nope. Had to go back and get 1 main cluster bulb. Oh, for anyone that says the steering wheel has to come off if you don't have tilt.....they just don't know how to pull it out the right side (toward the center stack). Mine came out just fine. If I have to change one of those bulbs again, I can do it in about 5 - 10 minutes, complete.

thanks for the write up Furious, that worked great!

Mike C
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)