NEED HELP ASAP!!! E36 '98 325 Engine Into '00 M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lv2exl8 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Angry NEED HELP ASAP!!! E36 '98 325 Engine Into '00 M3

Dont ask me why but I need to put a '98 BMW 325i engine into a '99 M3.
Please dont ask me why I would do this as there is a very good reason behind it, but I need to try to get this swat into my M3.
I have never swapped motors on BMW's!!
Please let me know if it is a direct bolt on or if I have to do any kind of modifications. I have a '98 325 complete swap, engine harness and ECU.
PLEASEW HELP ME!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds shady as hell. Until I hear a convincing reason, I'm not going to say anything about this.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid View Post
This sounds shady as hell. Until I hear a convincing reason, I'm not going to say anything about this.
Agreed, but I will say it's not a simple swap. Not by any means.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Wtf?

#5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2exl8 View Post
Dont ask me why but I need to put a '98 BMW 325i engine into a '99 M3.
Please dont ask me why I would do this as there is a very good reason behind it, but I need to try to get this swat into my M3.
I have never swapped motors on BMW's!!
Please let me know if it is a direct bolt on or if I have to do any kind of modifications. I have a '98 325 complete swap, engine harness and ECU.
PLEASEW HELP ME!!!!

OK, WELL HERE IS THE DEAL!!! I BLEW MY MOTOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO AND AS YOU GUYS KNOW THESE MOTORS ARE EXPENSIVE AS HELL. MY BUDDY HAS A FULL SWAP OFF OF A '98 325 w/ LESS THAN 80K ON IT, LAYING AROUND AT HIS DEALERSHIP. HE WAS WILLING TO SELL ME THE FULL SWAP FOR UNDER $1000, SO I WOULD THEN DROP THAT MOTOR INTO MY CAR SO I CAN USE IT AS A PART TRADE FOR AN E46 OFF HIS LOT. I BELIEVE HE WILL LATER RUN MY CAR THROUGH THE DEALER AUCTION AS AN AS-IS VEHICLE.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid View Post
AND BTW........ ITS NOT ACTUALLY AN M3 THAT I HAVE BUT A '99 M ROADSTER. I STATED M3 JUST BECAUSE I KNEW THERE WILL BE ALOT MORE PEOPLE THAT COULD HELP ME UNDER THE 3 SERIES (E36) FORUM AND I ALSO KNOW THAT THE M3 AND M ROADSTER ENGINES ARE IDENTICAL. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL......., I HOPE I AM RIGHT ABOUT THAT ONE.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!!!!!!!!
JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT WOULD AND WOULD NOT WORK!!!
i JUST NEED TO SEE IF IT WOULD BE WORTH MY TIME.

tHANK YOU
#8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
It should be a very easy swap as engine swaps go. The engines are basically identical on the lower end. Make sure you get everything ecu, maf, etc. Get some extra hoses you can cut/rout as needed. I'm not sure if the engine is mounted differently in the roadster than in an E36. So the mounts might need to be fabed, you could use the current engine as a guide. If you can refab the mounts that exist, the drive shaft should bolt right up. You'll be slow, if its a manual you might have issues with the car stalling while the clutch is in unless you feather the gas.

However, I wouldn't do the swap. It still sounds shady to me and I doubt you will recoup your costs. And you may have the person that ends up with the car coming to look for you.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Think about it. If you sell this car with ///M roadster badges and a 325i engine in it... Well, what else do I need to say?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Dude, are you kidding me???? I am not selling the car, I am trading it in, to a person who knows I am putting this engine into this vehicle.......
#11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
it may just be me but that is something i wouldnt do. I would rather piece the car out and buy the car i want or if that was too much i would dismantle the entire engine replacing exactly what is damaged with a junker and use all of the old parts to assemble a complete engine again.

last resort would be a personal loan to get a new engine but with upgrades such as PnP, possibly Bore'd.

There is somethin up when a guy will give you an engine swap for 1k then take it back once its in a chassis. . . . .

sounds like SCAM

Last edited by garbone; 02-20-2009 at 02:53 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
+1 on garbone

plus if your friend is selling the car again, I'm not sure he will tell people that there's a different engine with less hp in it
plus your car will lose value with the 2.5 engine, even if you try to trade it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)