Need A Few Questions Answered - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BIMMER19 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need A Few Questions Answered

How Do I Know If Its My Power Steering Rack Or Pump That Has Gone???

What Do I Do To Reset The Service Light ( Ive Heard All I Got To Do Is Earth Something)???

Who Knows Where To Got The Hid Angel Eyes For An E36??

Whats The Best Looking Body Kit On An E36???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
your power steering pump will make a whining sound if it is bad, especially while steering. if not, it could be your rack and pinion.

No idea about service light.

go to bavtoys.com for real good quality non-cheesy angel eyes and HID kits

I think the best looking body kit on the E36 is the stock E36 M3 body.

#3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
your power steering pump will make a whining sound if it is bad, especially while steering. if not, it could be your rack and pinion.

No idea about service light.

go to bavtoys.com for real good quality non-cheesy angel eyes and HID kits

I think the best looking body kit on the E36 is the stock E36 M3 body.

yer thought as much but it only hapens every now ant then when steering so it is going just not gone yet

thanks for the tip on angel eyes and i was hoping someone would say the best kit is the M3 coz i love that kit, just dont want to make it look like a M without havnig the same power off the lights lol
#4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yer that was the 1st thing i checked.. would be a bit of a problem if it was low coz the power steering is a sealed system so would mean a leak lol but the levels are fine and it must just be the pump on its last legs lol
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER19 View Post
just dont want to make it look like a M without havnig the same power off the lights lol
i was actually going to say that, but i didn't want to tell you what to do with your car. i personally would not put any body kit on a 325 E36

#7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM
n00b

karlos is on a distinguished road
buy a reset tool of ebay it resets everything?
#8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
the reset tool is winging its way to me as we speak lol, and with a body kit im going to have a long look round and see what will look best, a lot of hard work is ahead i think, watch this space lol
#9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
E36 M3 kit by miles but that's my opinion...

try a fluid flush on the Powersteering system and use ATF it stopped my constant whinning...

the sevice light can be EASILY reset with a piece of wire... I used it on all mine and never failed me! i'll get the link posted tonight when I get on my comp (posting via cellphone) i'll try to remember.. or if you want it sooner shoot me an email

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
n00b

louisjordaan is on a distinguished road
Try This It Works To Reset Oil Service Light

Reset oil & inspection lights
without an expensive reset tool

WTF?!? How do I get rid of this?
If you change your own oil, you may wonder, "How do I extinguish that annoying OIL SERVICE light?" It is a simple matter of sticking a piece of wire under your hood for 4 seconds. Well maybe it's not that simple, but that is the basic principle. No need to go to the dealer and pay them $75 for 4 seconds of work.
I take no credit for the technical information on this page. Much of it was adapted from Ron Stygar's excellent writeup, which can be found here: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html.
Tools needed
ORORThis page is under
development. HMRD™
instructions still
to come.

paperclipspeaker wireHome-Made
Reset Device™
(HMRD™)

First, pop your hood and find the diagnostic data port. It is located on the right side of the engine bay near the right strut tower.

Unscrew the cap. You will see a big Pac-Man shaped hole and twenty little round holes. WTF is a Pac-Man? Never mind. We are only concerned with pin 7 and pin 19 (note: the words "pin" and "hole" are used interchangeably in this text). Refer to the picture below to find pins 7 and 19. What we will be doing in this exercise is connecting pins 7 and 19 with a paperclip for four seconds. This will reset the oil service light. Simple, no?
Location of data port.
PinTerminalDescription1TDTD Signal2-Not occupied3-Not occupied4-Not occupied5-Not occupied6-Not occupied7SIService Interval Reset8-Not occupied9-Not occupied10-Not occupied11-Not occupied1261 (D+)Generator Charge Indicator13-Not occupied1430Voltage; Hot At All Times15RXDDiagnostic Data Link1615SVoltage; Ignition Switch in Run17-Not occupied18PGSPProgramming Line1931Ground20TXDDiagnostic Data LinkDiagnostic data port
Using a paperclip:
Bend your paperclip it so it looks like this.
Well it doesn't have to look exactly like this, but you get the idea. Use pliers if you have to. We want those little loops at the end to maximize the contact with the conductors in the holes of the data port. If you can't make those little loops at the ends, that's okay. Just don't go running around with sharp objects. Note: you probably will not be able to recover the original shape of the paperclip, so please don't use paperclips you can't afford to lose.
A bent paperclip.
Using speaker wire Use speaker wire that isn't so thick that it won't fit in the holes in the data port.
You only need a few inches of wire. Strip the wire at both ends. Twist the ends of the wire so that they stay nice and tight.
Speaker wire with twisted ends.
Procedure
You have a choice of items to use: the paperclip, speaker wire, or your HMRD™.

Using a paperclip.1. Using a paperclip or speaker wire
Turn the ignition key to position II, but don't start the car. Get out of the car and go to the data port. Always connect pin 7 first. Once you've inserted one end into pin 7, insert the other end into pin 19 and hold it there for 4 seconds. Then remove the paperclip. Check the dash and the oil inspection lights should be reset. The reset occurs upon removal of the clip. DO NOT HOLD IT THERE FOR LONGER THAN 10 SECONDS or you may inadvertently reset your inspection I/II interval.

Using the HMRD™. Note: I am not sitting in the car.2. Using the HMRD™ (Home-Made Reset Device) Go to the data port. Connect one wire to pin 7 and one wire to pin 19. Get in the car (bring the button module with you). Turn the ignition key to position II, but don't start the car. Press and hold the button for 4 seconds. Release the button. The oil inspection lights should reset upon release of the button. DO NOT HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN FOR LONGER THAN 10 SECONDS or you may inadvertently reset your inspection I/II interval.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 02:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank god you replied with a post because i was told it was 18 that i had to earth out to reset the light, i have tried the 7 and 19 and it worked!!!! thankssss
#12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Nice Find louisjordaan, I will keep that reset service oil post in my favorites,
+1 ^ with all of creepingdeath's post replies......
johnny,

#13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
n00b

louisjordaan is on a distinguished road
Thanks Nice To Hear It Works For You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)