Need a bit of help deciding - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
EZ-E is on a distinguished road
Need a bit of help deciding

Theres two cars I have a chance of getting both E36s.

The first, 1994 325i sedan, leather, auto stock wheels, new paint, no dents dings, has a few issues 220k.

Known issues from the seller, Has a transmission issue. Suffers from late engagement. Now I know this to be a problem with some in this same year but it seems to be more then that.

Seller states, that its not just when going into gear, if running and stopped at a red light, sometimes it will shift flawlessy, other times if you step on the gas to hard it will skip or slip. Once going it will drive just fine.

Im guessing or assuming there is no slippage in higher range.

As for the motor everything is fine, no tick or noises, no oil loss or consumption, interior is incredbily clean, no cracks in the leather at all. Floors are clean, generally nice inside, outside presents well. Only defect is crack in the windshield.

Price 1600

Second choice 1993 318is 5speed 157k miles

Sitting for one year, randomly started here and there, not driven much less only moved from one end of the driveway to the other.

Exterior in immaculate condition. Would find it hard to believe it sat about for a year.

Interior, some issues with drivers seat. to be expected. There seems to be some sort of squeeking in the suspension. Hasnt really elaborated on that I can post more as I learn.

Price 2k obo

Both cars are 4-5 hours drive from me, I really love the 325, the price is honestly good concidering the condition of the car inside and out. Only thing is the transmission and haveing to toss a few hours work into a car not to mention 800 for a transmission, though with warranty

The 318is I like as well though same body style though it does have the weaker engiine, but hmm being with gas the way it is may be the better choice, though I know quite a few people getting at least an avg of 24-25 mpg with the 2.5. This does however have the 5 speed and it is a coupe.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any and all input.

Jim
EZ-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Forgot to add

First here is the 325i

Heres the 318is

Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 325i and 1991 318is
Photos:
iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
Do not do not do not get an automatic BMW. there are so many reasons why a manual transmission is better than an automatic one, i can not even list them all here. And the 325 sounds like a piece of junk to me. If i were you, i would keep looking. Get a manual 325 with less miles for a little more money, like around $3000-4000, if you have that.

i got mine ('95 325i manual) with 179k miles for $4000 even, and it was in awesome condition. its the green one in my signature.

look on these three sites for a BMW:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Buy New & Used Cars, Research Prices, Sell My Car, Find Auto Dealers
Used Cars, New Cars, Buy a Car, Sell a Car, Car Dealers - AutoTrader.com
Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
HEHE

I was thinking the same as far as the automatic, it was the attractive price that drew my attention.

My range is up to 4k, and I was thinking though if I could find one that might needed a little and or just give me something a bit to tinker with as well that wouldnt be so bad.

Its why my thoughts really switched to the 318is Love the color and its a coupe !! Though I know Ill miss the 6 cylinder torque.

My first love has always been my 1983 280zx turbo, its where I fell in love with the straight 6 and its sound and respectable power.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 325i and 1991 318is
Photos:
iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
give autotrader.com and cars.com a whirl. i am sure you can easily get a 325 in great condition with a 5-speed for under $4000, and even with a few problems you can tinker with if you like.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)