Need Advice, on Cutting Springs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need Advice, on Cutting Springs

Hey, these forums have been nothing but helpful to me, so I figured I'd ask some advice, and see what we come up with.

Problem: I lowered my car using H&R Racing Springs, 2 inch drop in the front 1 inch drop in the rear. I have 19's staggered BBS Wheels. The car now rubs to the point I havent driven it since lowering it.

What I have tried: Buying new wheels, but realized I'm wasting more money on more rims and still dont know if it will fix the issue. Returned the rims.

What I'm going to do is put my BBS back on, and put my stock springs back on. The car looked sick as it was, however there is a nice gap between the fender and the front wheels.

What I wanted to do, but dont know if I can was cut a small section off the oem springs only in the front to lower it about 1 inch.

I've seen people on here talking about they lowered there car 30MM, I dont know how you guys did that, did you cut the spring, if so does your car bounce at all?

How do you lower a car by Milimeeters, are we cutting springs or are we buying new springs. I need some advice guys, let me know, thanks!
Redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Cutting springs is a no-no. The springs were designed to act as a unit. Those who have lowered their cars by amounts different than you are using different springs than you.

BTW, just in case: 30 mm = 1.18"
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2000 BMW 528it
Photos:
5seriesmwagon is on a distinguished road
Ya I cut my Neuspeed sport lowering springs on my Scirocco and the Billstein shocks were shot in about a year. I would look for some progressive springs that give you the amount of lowering you need, or the more expensive adjustable height suspension.
5seriesmwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
H&R Race lower your car too much. Look for a more subtle drop with H&R Sports, Eibach pro-kit, Dinn springs, or go with height adjustable coilovers.

Have you rolled your fenders yet?

When people say they lowered their cars in milimeters, it's usually a non-stateside thing. We measure in inches, they measures in mm.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullrr
Need advice... on cutting springs
Don't. You're welcome.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for all your advice, I was thinking just a lil off the front spring, just to get a lil lower. I already wasted money on the H&R Springs...

With my factory suspension the rear looks sweet however if you look at my pictures you will notice a nice gap in the front. How did you lower your car, did you cut the factory spring a bit? Cause thats what I was debating about doing. Not a lot like a half coil maybe a 1 inch drop or a half inch, just in the front. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Last edited by Redbullrr; 06-14-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Jason, please set him straight. I dont have teh energy for this right now.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
.... dont cut your springs....thats my advice....

however...... uggh i hate myself for giving this information out.... but if your gonna do it regardless.. you might be safe to cut 1 coil or less out of them, the hard part is making sure you cut each spring the exact same.

just so you know once you cut your springs you loose the integrity of the original design, and your going to subject your ride to some real harsh rides. in all honesty either sell your springs and buy a set of coilovers or buy a set of springs that will give you the look your wanting...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
just so you know once you cut your springs you loose the integrity of the original design, and your going to subject your ride to some real harsh rides. in all honesty either sell your springs and buy a set of coilovers or buy a set of springs that will give you the look your wanting...
What he said.

Oh, and one more thing: don't cut your springs.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
anyone say, dont cut your springs?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
see?

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
umm...dont flame me....i lowered my car by heating the springs, not cutting...the ride feels a bit different, not too much, everyone told me not to cuz it would fuck up the rest of the suspension, but im planning on adding all new stuff anyways, so this is just a temp solution for me, but havent had any weird stuff, ride isnt harsh, doesnt quite feel like a bmw, but its not bouncy or anything...just my 2 cents

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
sell your H&R race springs to some one with smaller wheels. Now go to bimmerworld.com (drunk forgive me) and buy their height adjustable coil overs. You will use your same struts/shocks and you will get to play with the height. I will be buying a set at the end of the summer. Good luck
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hey thanks thekid, I'm selling a set of Barely used H&R Racing Springs, for 150. Anyone want to buy? I am going to put my stock springs and cut a little off the front. Just enough to get close to an inch lower in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)