Mysterious electrical problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 03:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vwb_john is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 1995 325is with 171,000 miles. While I was driving the other night several warning lights came on (check engine, ASC, ABS) they stayed on for approximately 5 min. This morning I started the car (no lights came on as normal) after allowing the car to warm up (10 min), I got in, turned on the headlights & fog lights and the same lights came on. After driving for two blocks, one additional warning light came on (battery charge indicator) along with the battery charge indicator light the radio turned off by itself and the headlights dimmed. This lasted for 10 minutes or so, then the battery light went out, the headlights came back to normal brightness and the radio came back on. Everything was fine until I came to my parking spot (after about 15 min of driving) All the warning lights came back on, the lights dimmied, the radio turned off, and the car started to run ruff, then I turned off the lights and the lights went out but the car still continued to run ruff. I had to get to work so I had no time to investigate. I'm at a loss of where to start looking for the cause. I just purchased the car and it is in fabulous condition aside of this one problem. I would appreciate any help you can give, the sooner the better, since this is my main transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

B3M2W5i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to B3M2W5i
maybe you just need to reset everything with the reset tool

Cashmere Beige Metallic
#3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I had the same exact problem one weekend in July with my 1995 318i. I called BMW and they told me to bring my car in. I did the following day. Apparantly I had $2500 worth of maintance that I needed to do because of those darn lights. Apparantly they all mean something and it is not an error. Also becareful with your timing belts that would set off the "check engine" lights. If you don't fix or replace those right away you could ruin your entire engine block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)