my performance SUCKS - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
liltrig99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone. I've had my 93 318i for about 1.5 months now. Ive been driving it for a little bit, but ive noticed that it seems really slow. I know it has the crappy 4 cyl 1.8liter engine, w/ 138 bhp. I don't have times, but all i can say is it seems like i cant keep up with anyone, or maybe im shifting to early, whens a good rpm to shift at? Its all stock, so i was wondering if thats y, it has stock wheels (i think steel or something) with hubcaps n , and no performance chip, plus it doesn't sound good, theres like a clicking from the engine. Someone told me thats normal w/ older cars, and its just the cams or the valves, but id like to know if i could make it stop. Any ideas or suggestions would really help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

tico481 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tico481 Send a message via MSN to tico481
If your trying to go fast I'd shift right before the car redlines.

<u>1995 BMW 325is</u>

- //M3 Spoiler
- 15% Tinted Windows
- Front License Plate Delete

If I say something stupid, it's probably cause I'm ripped
#3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Well..... over time metel will sometimes move... (best word for it would be "adjust").... and when that happens.. the clearance between moving objects tends to change with that movement. For example.. .if you had .3275 of an inch between your piston... and maybe a valve or something... and your head adjusts over time... they might contact sooner or later.. A re-build will be your fix.... unless you hanvt changed your oil in 4 years... that might be the reason.

But.. I would not have the mind set that you need to re-build your engine... that is not the case at all... your engine is fine... unless the ticking sound wakes up the neighbors in the morning.. I would not worry about it.

If you want your engine to perform better.... keep good maintenance on it... replace the fuel filter... air filter...belts... hoses...(vacume, cooling system ect...) and replace your injectors.... spark plugs... new muffeler... ect... replace what you can without re-building and exchanging large parts. Mainly .. just take good care of it.. and it will do the same to you. GOOD LUCK

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:09 PM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
Its normal for most cars with SOHC or DOHC 4cyl engines to have some kind of clicking sound to it...thats the sound of a small 4cyl engine...these engines aren't crappy either, slow yes when compared to 2.5s and 2.8s, but these engines are tanks and can last VERY VERY long with the proper maintanence....

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12&quot; Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4&quot; 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25&quot; component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&amp;N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ghettozn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ghettozn
Quote:
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Aug 2 2004, 05:49 PM
Its normal for most cars with SOHC or DOHC 4cyl engines to have some kind of clicking sound to it...thats the sound of a small 4cyl engine...these engines aren't crappy either, slow yes when compared to 2.5s and 2.8s, but these engines are tanks and can last VERY VERY long with the proper maintanence....
Well said.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I also have a 318i. I have no problem keeping up with things, as long as they aren't trying too hard. Bascially if you want the car to move, you have to learn to just floor the gas pedal, and shift around 3.5k rpms or 4k, when you are just driving around, but after you have let the car warm up. If you want to accelerate as fast as possible, then shit at 5.6k rpms. Not quite redline. Also get a feel for the car to get the best start with out slipping the clutch, and learn to shift quickly, and you won't have problems. Our cars may be slower in a straight line, but we're more balanced in the twisties! You'll learn to have a lot of fun with the car, you can floor it out of any turn and still control the car great, just learn to anticipate it pushing at the limit, but until the limit it is almost perfectly balanced. But a few mods will take care of that for you and get rid of all pushing.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
I must say, I did keep up with a sharked auto 328 much better than I though I would a few weeks ago. Plus, my launch and timing was terrible on each.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:45 PM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
No doubt you'll definitely have to rev the 4 banger to get power. It doesn't have much low end torque, so you can't expect to pass cars shifting at 3000RPM. The 318's peak trq comes in at 4500 and the peak hp comes in at 6000RPM. You should feel the most power between 4500 all the way to 6000RPM. That's the range you should be driving between if you want power. Otherwise, the 318 makes a very poor cruising car on those hot summer days. On the track or highway, I have no problems passing cars. With the right driver, these things fly! Don't be afraid to rev the engine, just don't be stupid about it. These engines were made to rev. A lot of the engine interals are made even stronger than the other 6 cyl models for this purpose.

I've driven some beaten up 318's in the past. And a high milage poorly maintained engine makes a huge difference from one that has been well maintained from a performance point of view. I was at the track about 2 months ago, I flew by my buddy in his 318 and right before the straight we were side by side. I must have passed him by 6-8 car spaces in the straight.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
#9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

komodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 2 2004, 06:38 PM
I must say, I did keep up with a sharked auto 328 much better than I though I would a few weeks ago. Plus, my launch and timing was terrible on each.
Ha, wanna try again now that I finally got my cai?
#10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Neutral Member

liltrig99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok so lets say i start shifting at 4-5 instead of at 3. Will that be bad for my engine, since its kinda old (93) or are these engines really as strong as i keep hearing. Also, might be a stupid question, but is it allright to shift into 5th past 55. That red line at 55 always bothers me when i get above or close to it while in 4th
Thanks
#11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
sure, as long as its not uphill and I know the stoplights...its all about the timing.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)