I recently purchased a non operational 325is with 99k miles. Owner thought the engine was blown, (it didnt start, leaked oil, his buddy told him engine was prolly blown)
Anyhow he took 3K off the price to adjust for blown engine.
After finding a bad fuel pump and adding 5 quarts of oil -- car runs like a champ. Good thing my buddy is a bmw mechanic!
I went to the BMW dealer the car was taken too regularly and asked them to pull the service records. I was stunned. The car had been at the dealer 39 times since it was bought. Among the things done by prior owner
1) ECU replaced
2) muffler replaced
3) radiator replaced
4) water pump replaced
5) A/C condensor/compressor replaced
6) strut mounts/shocks replaced - twice
7) oil pan gasket changed, valve cover gasket.
Car was allways oil changed at dealer with synthetic oil. (they charged $150 for each oil change!) I guess car has allways leaked oil , and car still leaks oil. Synthetic must not be too good to use eh?
Anyhow i added up all the work, over $15,000 of service from 30k to 99k.
no wonder the owner wanted to sell the car instead of taking it to the dealer for repair.
Anyhow, still have a few things to fix to make car in great shape.
1) CD Changer doesnt work.
2) all the door panel "vinyl" leather has bubbled up and peeled off, lousy glue job i guess.
3) leather seat dye has worn off in places on drivers and passengers seat
4) car clunks in front end when it leaves a driveway. (mounts again?)
5) muffler sounds way too noisy -- (it was allready replaced at 60k, damn thing is bad again!).
6) about 1,000 little tiny rock chips all over nose of car.
Anyhow I was shocked at all the service records, and how the same things allready fixed are broken again.
Thanks for reading, see ya guys later if you have any suggestions or advice let me know. Ill keep you all updated on project!