My mutant car - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1998XCR700 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
My mutant car

First, let me start with the fact that I love my 1992 325IS. It's areal pleasure to drive. Mostly. However it seems that I have managed to pick another mutant vehicle (ask me about my Polaris XCR 700 and my 1991 Jeep Wrangler). It seems I have a knack for picking vehicles that are in the in-between stages of things. Like my Bimmer. It's a 92, and doesn't have VANOS yet is an E36. Fine, it has better cams anyways. How about reading the Bentley manual. Whenever there is a technical discussion it likes to say things like "except on the 1992 models...."

I've wrenched on anything and everything, and this car is the second easiest vehicle to work on. Engineering is great when it comes to a lot of things. HOWEVER, I need some direction from someone that has the same model and year. I've had an issue with my gas mileage. I only get between 19-21 miles to the gallon, and it's usually on the low end of that (heavy on the skinny pedal). I can deal with that but I believe it correlates with some other problems. I've seen this question asked a few different times and everyone says "never heard of that before". It seems to have an odd surge at times. If I press the gas pedal 1/3 to 3/4 of the way, it accelerates then pauses (rpm's do not dip, just hold steady for about a 1/2 second), then accelerates again, and repeats over and over. Fine when i barely hit the gas, and fine when I really romp on it (to the floor). I've cleaned the ICV, changed plugs, new o2 sensor, no leaking fuel supply lines (had a leaking return line but fixed that), Hot-soaked it with Sea-Foam, added a CAI with a brand new air filter. Changed oil and filter. No vaccum leaks (I know the carb and choke cleaner trick). Before I did all that the RPMs would dip, but like I said now they hold constant. I'm going to change the fuel filter. I'm about to order a Fuel Pressure regulator. I think that may be the cuplrit. I'm going to go buy a fuel pressure gauge to check that first. Do all the tests for volume, leak-down, pressure etc as described in the Bentley. Also going to check the MAF, TPS values. My coils are fine, no cracks. Trans is fine. ANY IDEAS ANYONE??? Anything I'm missing? Let me know. If someone points me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for the long-windedness but I wanted to get specific and let whoever reads this know that I've done the basics.

Thanks

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I forgot in all my ramblings my original question. Where is my car's FPR? It's not on the front of the fuel rail like the Bentley says it is. I have 2 fuel lines going to the back of the rail, and one coming out the front. Like I said; mutant car!

Bryan
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 AM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
My issues with the 92 have been coils (all six actually), head gasket, subframe (kill me now), and rear shock mounts.

Mine hasn't really done what you're describing. So I guess I'm not much help there. BTW we also have a stronger block, thicker cylinder walls, dual valve springs, and strut mounted sway bars like the m3. Don't trade the non-vanos for any "ordinary" e36, promise?

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998XCR700
I forgot in all my ramblings my original question. Where is my car's FPR? It's not on the front of the fuel rail like the Bentley says it is. I have 2 fuel lines going to the back of the rail, and one coming out the front. Like I said; mutant car!

Bryan
My Chilton manual shows it to be in the back, under the fuel rail. It looks like you have to remove fuel rail to access it.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
. Don't trade the non-vanos for any "ordinary" e36, promise?
I don't plan on it. Wait till I tear it down this summer and do a rebuild , and do an auto to manual tranny at the same time. Should be a good time.

OK, so it's behind the rear of the fuel rail? Ok then. But why do I have 3 fuel lines going to the rail? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Bryan
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could the third line actually be the vacuum line for the FPR

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The third line is on the front of the rail, above the oil filter. Smells like gas in it, but there isn't any. I think my check valve is shot too, although it always starts right up. Thanks for that pic; maybe I should grab a Chilton's for it. I only have the Bentley as it was suggested this was the best. Anyways, fun time ahead.

Bryan
#8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wait, I'm retarded. Yes, it is. The one on the front is the return and the lower one in the back is the vaccum. Please disregard my brain fart (I'm at work reading rate sheets and telling people that I don't care how good their credit is, no on qualifies for 4.5% anymore)

Bryan
#9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998XCR700
Wait, I'm retarded. Yes, it is. The one on the front is the return and the lower one in the back is the vaccum. Please disregard my brain fart (I'm at work reading rate sheets and telling people that I don't care how good their credit is, no on qualifies for 4.5% anymore)

Bryan
No problem. The Bentley is good, but not the everything in manuals. If I could only have one, it would be the Bentley, But the Chilton and Haynes cover stuff pretty well. I happen to have both, one's my son's, I just use it whenever.

#10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Chalk up another one: I went through all my sensors tonight to make sure the values were good (TPS, ICV, MAF, etc) and guess what? The 92 is missing an Air Intake Temp. Sensor (NOT the one in the airbox that opens coolant to go through the throttle body). No, I don't mean like "blocked hole on intake and a plug dangling". I mean not there, isn't supposed to be there. No mention of that missing in the Bentley, just says it's right next to the Throttle body -- unless it's somewhere else?
FYI All my values are good with everything, +5 where I need and a smooth transition of resistence where needed. I really think FPR. Or fuel pump in its last throes.

Bryan
#11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
i have a air intake temp sensor...i have a non-vanos m50, i duno wats up with urs....did u check the injectors?

#12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
yeah I was wondering about the fuel injectors while reading all this as well. Those are easier to clean than replacing any of the rest of the fuel system...
#13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Injectors are clean. I took them apart and they were surprisingly clean. I did that right after I hot-soaked it.
Check out this Pic- No Intake Air Temp Sensor! According to what I read, it should be between the Throttle Body and the Brake Booster Vac. There's 2 small depressions where it might go? But they are molded into the plastic with no threads or anything. Right next to the Brake Booster vaccum line. Maybe it's somewhere else on this one?

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apr21_001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	23575  
#14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
take out the thorttle body and post a pic, u should be able to see it once u remove the throttle body....btw have u had all ur codes checked out?

Last edited by SpeedInfusion; 04-21-2006 at 12:30 PM.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedInfusion
take out the thorttle body and post a pic, u should be able to see it once u remove the throttle body....btw have u had all ur codes checked out?
That pic would be helpfull if he had an M52 but he has a M50. I wouldn't sweat the intake temp sensor, there is a temp sensor built into the AFS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)