BMW Werkz banner

This is my Money Hungry E36 Thread -- Issues

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bimmerguy82 
#1 ·
:conf
I have a 95 325i white. Good lookin ride, but I've encountered several problems after purchasing from friend. A lot had been done to it under their ownership all by a reputable BMW mechanic. I have continued to take it there because I have little cofidence in my ability to service her myself.

Her transmission is cantankerous at best. It takes about 7 or 8 seconds for reverse to engage after shifting, but otherwise seems to operate normally.

The first problem i'd like advice on is sluggish acceleration. This problem has increasingly worsened in the last two months. It first became apparent on warm days when accelerating from a full stop. It felt like it was sputtering although there was really no sputtering noise present. As of today, the problem appears in first and second gear intermittantly regardless of the outside temp or engine temp. When the pedal is depressed more fully, the hestitation only last a second or two, then she accellerates fine.

I have read some posts which lead me in the direction of dirty ICV or pehaps MAF:conf. Not sure and would appreciate any input before i dismantle anything. Thanks in advance.

:wrench

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok. I may do this occasionally when I think I've got something pertinant to add.

When in park, or stopped in gear, and at idle, the car feels like its downshifting or something. Its really hard to explain, but it does this more often and noticeably while the A/C is running. You can feel the whole car shift or shutter and the tach show a dip in revs (about 100, from 750 to 650ish). It may do this 10 times or so when waitng 90 seconds for a light to change. Very aggrevating!

Please Help...

#5 ·
low tranny fluid, or dirty tranny fluid are your two most likely culprits IMO.

heat your car up to normal operating temperature by driving it around a bit, then park it and check the fluid level once hot. if the fluid is low, top it off. im guessing its quite low.

dont over fill it either, thats almost just as bad, as there is nowhere for the excess to go.

#6 ·
What's the mileage on your 95 325i........when was the car last tuned up......plugs, Air & fuel filters...... I would check the spark plugs & make sure all your coil packs are firing well, then make sure air & fuel filters are in good shape, if you don't know? just tune it up......it won't hurt.....the trans service is not that difficult, I just did it in April.........here are the tune up & trans service DIY's.......
johnny,

Pelican Technical Article: BMW Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Pelican Technical Article: BMW 3-Series E36 Spark Plug Replacement

Pelican Technical Article: Replacing your BMW Fuel Filter

#7 ·
The latest on my tranny problems

Ok, I've left it to my trusted BMW mechanic to service my tranny as I have niether the facility or time to perform it myself. They called to tell me the fluid level is ok, but the color is black with contaminants and debris. They said it will cost me about $400 to have the extra fluid fushed from the torque convertor, new filter, plug and fluid. But, they warned, this may not fix the problem I'm experiencing :cry. I was told there's a 50/50 chance that I'll have to buy a used or rebuilt tranny.

Any thoughts? :help

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, I've left it to my trusted BMW mechanic to service my tranny as I have niether the facility or time to perform it myself. They called to tell me the fluid level is ok, but the color is black with contaminants and debris. They said it will cost me about $400 to have the extra fluid fushed from the torque convertor, new filter, plug and fluid. But, they warned, this may not fix the problem I'm experiencing :cry. I was told there's a 50/50 chance that I'll have to buy a used or rebuilt tranny.

Any thoughts? :help
I have a 92' 325i and i replaced the fluid in my auto tranny at about 180k miles.
I added some Lucas oil tranny additive (click here->) Lucas Oil to the flush. If I were you I would do the flush. If your tranny is gonna die, it will happen regardless of the flush. The flush might speed it up a little, but most likely the flush will get all the crappy fluid out and will run smoother. just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
my tranny fluid was black 1 told me they could flush it for an outrageous price but may not fix it, the other shop didnt even look at it and said it might not fix it. I took it to a trusted shop he flushed it and my tranny worked fine. 400$ seems expensive, I paid 100$ but this wasnt on a bimmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.