my glovebox :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
318itx is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
my glovebox :(

im not sure why..but my glovebox has decided not to close anymore. the only way i can get it to stay closed is when i lock it lol. so its always locked now. it didn't used to do this, it was more of an all of a sudden thing..any ideas on what it could be? the whole key assembly piece(where the key goes in) was replaced a few years ago..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
go to

www.understeer.com

and see the "glovebox fix" DIY.
All you need is two 1 inch screws, a screwdriver (or powerdrill) and 5 minutes and your glovebox will be good as new.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318itx
im not sure why..but my glovebox has decided not to close anymore. the only way i can get it to stay closed is when i lock it lol. so its always locked now. it didn't used to do this, it was more of an all of a sudden thing..any ideas on what it could be? the whole key assembly piece(where the key goes in) was replaced a few years ago..

Mine did that and I had to take the glove box out and lube and fiddle with the lock mechanism from the backside. If you drop the glove box down and out you can see how it works from the back. May just need to spray some silicone into it to get the parts sliding free again. If your glove box door is sagging it's because the plastic clips have come out of their slots behind the facia panel and need to be stuck back in, don't drill holes and put screws in your glove box front. If the door is sagging it won't stay closed worth a crap either. Pull the glove box out and look at how everything works from the back side, it's pretty easy to fix everything.

Mike
#4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:03 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarco
go to

www.understeer.com

and see the "glovebox fix" DIY.
All you need is two 1 inch screws, a screwdriver (or powerdrill) and 5 minutes and your glovebox will be good as new.
No offense Del, but I do not recommend following through on this faq. My glovebox was sagging as well, and when I came forward and said that this faq only prevented the glovebox from closing without locking it, several other people in this here forum voiced that the same had happened to them after following that faq.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
i don't understand..."it prevents it from closing without locking it" ?
so it closes but doesn't lock...

FOLLOW UP:
I see what you mean. If you use screws with really big heads and not flat head screws and you don't powerdrill holes first and create a sink for the screw heads to sink in and flush flatly with the surface then the screw heads stick out and prevents the lid from closing without slamming it shut with effort.

Use flat and thin and long screws and it should work.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Machine screws, right? I did. It didn't work. However, I only went to those after idiotically using pan head screws...

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Well, shit... My glovebox has been sagging, too. I was gonna go to the junkyard and just get a new one... until I saw that site... but maybe I'm just gonna go with the junkyard after all... no sense in wasting a day drilling screws into my car if I'm not sure it'd work. Anyone else who's had this problem? How'd u fix it?
#8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 05:33 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
my gb is saggin as well....someday ill fix it...along with my sunroof tilt mechanism lol...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)