my engine's f'ked, help me out - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PhunkDJti is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy my engine's f'ked, help me out

ok so i have a 96 318ti with an m44. i was planning on dropping in an m52, however due to moving out and the need to pay for other unforseen things, thats really not an option at this point.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM.....

... the engine wont turn over, and the #1 spark plug is covered in oil. bleieve me, i kno this means its bad. it did have a slight leak for a short while before it went out all together. im thinkin either a cracked head, block, or that cylinder lost compression all together... im hoping it is just the head gasket and somehow miraculously did not fuck up the cylinder, cuz id be able to fix that and save my ass alot of money.... what do u guys think? thanks alot
PhunkDJti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 318i
Photos:
wesmyth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wesmyth Send a message via Yahoo to wesmyth
m52

if you get the bigger engine will you have to get a different diff?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Did it overheat ?

Did it go through a bad overheat or something? Normally the head won't crack unless it went through a bad overheat, like 250+ degrees and someone kept driving it. Other than that I'd say its just a head gasket. But you never know until you tear into it.

Mike
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
"... the engine wont turn over,"
Get a new battery or jump it.
"#1 spark plug is covered in oil"
One oiled plug does not mean the headgasket is gone. This could be caused by a bad plug, plug wire or coil.
Put in a new plug and see if it too gets oiled. - if so check plug wire and coil.
If they are ok, do a compression test.
Most likely it's not as bad as you're thinking.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so far, thanx for the info.

...its not the battery. the engine starts to fire up, but wont actually start. and as far as trying a new plug goes, its already been tried, and its not that its just got some oil on it, its that the whole reservoir is filled with oil. and i could def. be wrong, but i thought u had to have the car running to do a compression test

and as long as ive had it (about 3 yrs) it's never overheated, so ur prolly right about the head/block.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
"its that the whole reservoir is filled with oil."
Good news. If that's the case, it's not the headgasket, but the valve cover gasket which is an easy fix.

A compression check is done with the car not running. Each spark plug is removed and a hose connected to a compression gauge is screwed into the spark plug hole. The engine is then turned over several times and a compresssion reading is given by the guage.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok...that sounds possible, however...this problem actually happened months ago and i didnt do anything about it because it was too damn cold and i had another car to drive anyways, so i kept putting it off...could i have caused corrosion in there somewhere? thus making this a much bigger pain in my ass?

o and thanks for clearing that up about the compression test

Last edited by PhunkDJti; 06-20-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Chaosbunny is on a distinguished road
i dont know most of the vocabulary being used in this thread, but i hope u fix your problem
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have spark? easy way to find out is to take one plug out and groung it and see if there is a spark (you have to have someone turn the car over while doing this and you might get a jolt if you hold on to the plug while grounding it but no worries 12v can't do too much to you. i have been shocked doing this a lot with small engines stuff.). and i def. agree w/ gator about the valve cover gasket which the kit for a new one will/should have new gaskets for the plug wells.
polaris448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok... i now realize that i said that the engine wont turn over, when in fact it turns over, just wont start. and im waiting on my one buddy to swing by with the right equiptment so i can do a compression test. so now that leads me to a couple of conclusions and questions.

1. its not gettin a spark for one reason or another, or its something with the fuel delivery (injectors/pump, etc.)

2. would a faulty valve cover gasket cause a cylinder to lose compression?

3. how do i ground a plug to test it?

thanks again
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
"1. its not gettin a spark for one reason or another, or its something with the fuel delivery (injectors/pump, etc.)"
If the car has not been run for many months, the gas could have turned bad and gummed up the fuel injection system.

"2. would a faulty valve cover gasket cause a cylinder to lose compression?"
A faulty valve cover gasket would not cause a cylinder to lose compression. However a plug well filled with oil might cause the plug to misfire.

"3. how do i ground a plug to test it?"

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ground the plug to test it. The Bently manual has a "Warning - If a spark plug test is done incorretly, damage to the ECM or ignition coils may result"
In addition, the voltage to the spark plud is NOT 12 volts. The coil steps the voltage up from 12v to 15,000-20,000 volts. A shock from the plug would
knock you clear across the garage and might even kill you. Take it to a garage or buy a spark plug tester made for the job.

In general I would say you are in over your head and would probably do better to have a professional deal with it.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
1. it really had not been sitting that long, a month-maybe two, then i was forced to oull it out and drive it for a few days (it ran fine), then about a week later it was nice out so i decided to drive it to work and it wouldnt start

2. while i know that my valve cover gasket is in need of replacement, i though it would generally just cause it to leak oil and not cause any compression loss, but i felt the need to check

3. well yea thats y i asked about the plug testing.... it seemed a little odd to hear someone suggest that.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
"1. its not gettin a spark for one reason or another, or its something with the fuel delivery (injectors/pump, etc.)"
If the car has not been run for many months, the gas could have turned bad and gummed up the fuel injection system.

"2. would a faulty valve cover gasket cause a cylinder to lose compression?"
A faulty valve cover gasket would not cause a cylinder to lose compression. However a plug well filled with oil might cause the plug to misfire.

"3. how do i ground a plug to test it?"

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ground the plug to test it. The Bently manual has a "Warning - If a spark plug test is done incorretly, damage to the ECM or ignition coils may result"
In addition, the voltage to the spark plud is NOT 12 volts. The coil steps the voltage up from 12v to 15,000-20,000 volts. A shock from the plug would
knock you clear across the garage and might even kill you. Take it to a garage or buy a spark plug tester made for the job.

In general I would say you are in over your head and would probably do better to have a professional deal with it.
Yes. True about all of this. But, the voltage wont knock you across the garage, you need amperage to do that, and it's not there to do that. If anything, it will hurt LIKE HELL (think: taser) and can be dangerous to your heart and wont be pleasent - plus whatever he said about the ECU. Although, the plus are grounded to the engine block, which is grounded to the car, which is common ground for the vehicle - there must be a circuit to have current to produce a non-static spark. If you shorted the annode\cathode of the plug to the car's ground, eliminating the posibilty of a spark, THAT would be bad. EITHER WAY, get them tested by a tester, not ghetto-style..... or better yet - new OEM plugs.

As far as engine mechanics:
Misfire: bad spark plug connection, Shitty plugs, bad wires to the coilpack, bad coil pack, broken ECU. - Replace/check parts in that order.
Compression: bad piston rings, compromised head gasket, bent intake/exhast rod, (very) dirty intake/exhaust rod/seals. If the engine ran fine like a few weeks ago like you said, this is in all probability, not your problem. The car would probably shake and not run right - giving you some sort of indication if these were the problem.

If the engine turns over, but wont start, check your fuel delivery system. Fuel pumps on E36 is notorious for not having any problems until you try to start the car one day.
Obviously, check electrics and battery charge, and if the car dosn't turn over at all: starter (BITCH to change)

Oil in the plug holes: it happens, nothing to really worry about, just BEFORE you pull the plugs out of the block, soak up the oil with a paper towel - you can foul your plugs if you do that. This can cause problems with misfires if the oil is just chilling there, but soak it up with a paper tower every once in a while and there wont be any problems. Replace valve cover gasket to fix this problem.

Last edited by bitcore; 06-24-2006 at 01:10 AM.
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)