My Car Sounds And Runs Like Crap - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ridikuledind has a little shameless behaviour in the past
(Thread Starter)
I have been haveing a few problems with my car and I am wondering if any one else has had the same problems. (1995 318is)
1. The check engine light came on and i had it read. The code that came back said that i needed a new mass airflow sensor becasue of this i think that i have been geting bad gas milage (300 miles to a tank instead of 400) and my rpms also jump up and down and some times my car even stalls. I was wondering if there is a way to clean the MAS and if not, if anyone knows where i can buy the MAS at a reasonable price. BMW wants around 500 for it.

2. Every once in a while my are will sound like the clutch fan is rubbing on plastic (the sound you get when you but a baseball card in the spokes of a bike tire) but it has nothing to do with the fan....it sounds like its coming from where the area where the spark plugs are, but im not sure where. It makes my car sound like a shity rice rocket, but its not an exhaust leak.

So if you have had any of these problems or know how to fix them, let me know.

My car still runs great, it just dosent always run great. used

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>&quot;Were coming for you&quot;</span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:44 AM
350z

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
when i got my 318 the muffler was going so i had to replace that... as for the jumping idle i bet its the plugs... thats what it was for me... car never stalled though

David
#3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 07:28 AM
n00b

peter1loftin is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem with mine but i was down on bhp as well new lamda probe stoped the idle problems and i got alot better mpg but i am still down on hp
#4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
If you had the code read, and it said that your MAF was bad, then it's bad. Your MAF is basically responsible for maintaining the proper air/fuel mix. A pretty key component, and when malfunctioning, will adversely effect the car's performance.

You would have to have really worn plugs to cause any idle problems, and these problems would carry over into very poor acceleration.

Your ICV (Idle Control Valve) can also cater to poor idling, but like I said above, start with the MAF.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 05:06 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
yeah theres an easy way to check to see if the plugs are out.. take one out and see if it doesnt looks like its doing sooo hot.... if you havent changed them for a while they will do this to your idle...

DAvid
#6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ridikuledind has a little shameless behaviour in the past
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help. I want to buy a new MAS,but there no cheap so i thought i would see if anyone knew of something else that might be causeing it. I dont think that its the sparkplugs because i replaced them about 20,000 miles ago (It now has about 106000 miles on it) and about six months ago, and it started about a month after i replaced them. Im going to go get the exhaust looked at tommarow and see if thats the problem. I think that the noise sounds like an exhaust leak, but my mechanic said that it wasent. I guess i'll see what happens.

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>&quot;Were coming for you&quot;</span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)