My Car Gets Messed Up In The Rain - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fastcarvroom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Arrow

I have a 1994 325is (e36) When it's been raining awhile, sometimes my engine will not rev unless i pump the gas and as soon as i release the clutch the rpm drops to nothing so i find my self reving and riding the clutch all the way home with my hazards on. It smells burnt when i get home and its not a clutch smell.
It makes me sad cause i dont look like a cool guy in a bmw ne more i look retarded. Someone please help me. Could it be because the ecu gets wet?? A few months ago it rained and the whole car flooded then it never happened again, it runs fine when it is dry outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
first off, welcome to the forums...

do u have an after market intake which is not enclosed??
when people buy intakes off ebay, then are in the open, and causes water to get sucked into the engine, which is not good..

it sounds to me as if it could be that OR, TRANNY OR CLUTCH!!

should get it checked out!

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:53 PM
n00b

fastcarvroom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I appriciate the help. Its a k&n intake,and the clutch is brand new. I thought water didnt hurt the engine. What about water injection systems? I dont have one but i thought they cool the air so more nitrogen fits in because of denser air. Is that wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by fastcarvroom@Nov 22 2004, 04:30 PM
I have a 1994 325is (e36) When it's been raining awhile, sometimes my engine will not rev unless i pump the gas and as soon as i release the clutch the rpm drops to nothing so i find my self reving and riding the clutch all the way home with my hazards on. It smells burnt when i get home and its not a clutch smell.
It makes me sad cause i dont look like a cool guy in a bmw ne more i look retarded. Someone please help me. Could it be because the ecu gets wet?? A few months ago it rained and the whole car flooded then it never happened again, it runs fine when it is dry outside.
[snapback]235430[/snapback]
#4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Water injection? That's not what you need now. That's for VERY low octane fule or insane turbocharged engines. (or if your ignition is totally messed up)
Nitrogen dosn't burn, it just takes up space in an engine. O2 and the fuel mix is what we want.
As for your air filter, K&N is a re-useable filter. It's oil based, which means that it traps dust and crap in the filter screen with the small molecules of oil. Thats why they sell recharge kits so you can re-oil your filter. K&N's are a little more open than a paper filter so they let more air (and particulate matter) into the engine. The problem with the oil approach is, if water gets onto the filter, it will wash away the oil, rendering the filter more and more useless and allowing dust and other nasty stuff in the engine until you wash it off and re-oil it.
If you have a cold air intake, then most likely you are just ingesting some water and I would look at getting that fixed right away.
I'm a big fan of paper filters... when they get wet, they dry off

Does this happen when you have been sitting still for quite a while or only when your moving?

#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:21 AM
n00b

Lunardc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lunardc
Well, I've had that problem before, but lucky for you your car started! It happened one day after it rained. My car wouldn't start and I went nuts. It sounded like it wanted to but didn't , so i changed my spark plugs and it started once. The spark plugs wasn't the problem, it must've helped dry something near the engine bay. then i got starter fuel and sprayed it near the throttle body. got a little closer to starting, then finally did. So I drove it to bmw. long story short, they changed one of my sensors. I'm not sure which it was but i think it was the oxygen sensor. O, and the bmw mechanic recommended i take the CAI off. So, all in all, i'd say get your sensors checked out and make sure there isn't water up in your syster. O and make sure your using high octane gas.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)