BMW Werkz banner

My Bilstein front strut has tabs

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Autotechnica 
#1 ·
I got my front Bilstein SP suspension from a '92 318 and the struts were relatively new (still very good compression). Anyways, I'm wondering if my struts were for the 91/10 model E36's with the front strut mounted sway bars. I'm currently using a Dinan front sway (control arm mounted). However, too much understeer with the 20mm rear M3 sway bar. I'm hoping that my front strut can use the M3 front sway bar. Is this possible? And is this tab shown in the picture for the sway bar endlink?

Anyways, this was shot from the inside top portion of my wheels. Too lazy to get under the car.

Thanks!

Bry

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Apr 14 2004, 10:48 PM
do you seriously expect anyone on this forum to know this? LOL maybe TECH but so far you are the most knowledgable BMW suspension wizard i know
yah I was thinking the same thing..
I was like, when's autotechnica gonna answer, then I realized you posted it and then I was simply flabergasted...

#4 ·
You could cut it off, weight reduction :idea2 .

I'd imagine it would fit, even if it doesn't bolt right up modifications will make just about anything work. But then you've got the spots for your control arms to mount up still there. I've never had any experience with tab mounted sways though, only the control arm.

Any other random stuff I could tell you would probably be pointless cause I would be suprised if you didn't already know it.

#5 ·
Wow, you guys give me more credit than I deserve. Thanks though! I don't know everything about suspension, but it's my passion. I know very basic things when it comes to engine tuning. I actually throw the car around quite a bit, and I know exactly what I need to change or tweek. Even Furious (Mark) would agree (I think) that my car handled quite well on our little test run tonight :wink

Bry

#6 ·
Anyways, back to my question. The tab is meant for the strut mounted sway. However, another concern I have is will the M3 endlinks bolt right up to this strut? Or will I need different endlinks. Eg. too short, too long, etc.

This is a long shot, but if anyone can answer this...

Thanks!

It's the bar in the middle. The other 2 are my stock rusted up 318 bars. Look at the rear 318 bar! It's a rusty twig! I should try to snap it in half just for fun :)

Bry

Attachments

#7 ·
I don't know for sure but it seems to me like it should bolt right on. I have a 92 with a strut mounted sway bar and as far as I can see on the pics they look the same. I can take some close up pics for you of the my strut mounts/endlinks, if you want... let me know.

Btw, when I put my konis in the first time, the tirerack send me the struts without the mounting bracket for the sways and I drove the car without the sway bar for two weeks, that was an interesting experience :driving :D

Daemon
:devil

#8 ·
Originally posted by 325i_daemon@Apr 15 2004, 02:26 AM
I don't know for sure but it seems to me like it should bolt right on. I have a 92 with a strut mounted sway bar and as far as I can see on the pics they look the same. I can take some close up pics for you of the my strut mounts/endlinks, if you want... let me know.

Btw, when I put my konis in the first time, the tirerack send me the struts without the mounting bracket for the sways and I drove the car without the sway bar for two weeks, that was an interesting experience :driving :D

Daemon
Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiousity, have you ever considered swapping the M3 sway bars into your car? Are you using stock sway bars right now?

Don't bother with the pics, I'll just see if I can fit them on later today. It shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully I don't have to remove my wheels though, the bolts are stuck on hard.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I kind of happy that I have the strut for the sway bar. People don't realize how great this design is till they drive an M3 :)

Bry

#9 ·
The M3 sways are on my upgrade list for the summer, or whenever I will get a good deal on one.
It's very true, the strut mounted sways are great, especially in combination with a strut chassis brace.

Daemon

#10 ·
I put bilstiens on my 95 318i, I saw those tabs, had no idea what they were for. HOwever, I think the place i got my struts from messed up because they sent me two passenger side struts based on the direction of that tab thing. I was like oh well there wasn't a tab thing on the orignal struts so theres no problem. However, I'll see what I can find out about the tab thing. Now you have me curious.

#11 ·
Originally posted by thekid@Apr 15 2004, 05:01 PM
I put bilstiens on my 95 318i, I saw those tabs, had no idea what they were for. HOwever, I think the place i got my struts from messed up because they sent me two passenger side struts based on the direction of that tab thing. I was like oh well there wasn't a tab thing on the orignal struts so theres no problem. However, I'll see what I can find out about the tab thing. Now you have me curious.
There's nothing to find out. The tabs are for the strut mounted front sway bars. Are you sure you have the tabs for the sway bars? There are also tabs welded in for you to properly mount the brake lines to the strut so they won't get damaged. If you have this tab, take advantage of it and get the M3 sways. A much cheaper and "better" upgrade than buying those really expensive aftermarket sway bars.

My question was just whether or not the M3 endlinks would bolt right on.

I think you should get the correct strut. There could also be a difference in the position the spring sits in as it's actually mounted backwards. There are groves on the strut that have a certain position the spring should sit on them. I don't know whether or not that will make a big difference. However, I never mix and match parts.

I'll let you guys know which setup I like better, I'm installing them this weekend.

Dinan 27.2mm front (CA mounted) VS 98 M3 23.5mm front (strut mounted)
Both setups will be using the 98 20mm M3 rear bar.

Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.