BMW Werkz banner

My 3 Month Old Set Of Bilstein Struts Has Blown!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Autotechnica 
#1 ·
OK, so earlier this year I purchased a set of Bilstein Coilovers for my 325i. Everything worked great and still does, but the passenger side rear strut is blowing out so much oil that when i park the car in the driveway overnight there is a puddle underneath the strut in the morning. Bought everything from pelicanparts and I know bilstein is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but I think that is kind of rediculous for 5 months of use. anyone else ever had a problem with their bilsteins? :confused

#3 ·
I have a set of used Bilsteins that came with my 325i when I bought it. I just had them installed and one front shock was leaking. I sent them both (fronts) to be rebuilt for $300cdn (no warranty for me as I'm not the original owner).

My advice is to ask for a replacement since you have a lifetime warranty. If you have oil under the car the shock is now empty and is no longer providing any shock absorption. Therefore your handing is unbalanced and dangerous.

dark_islight

#4 ·
I've never had a problem with my Bilsteins (on my volvo). All you need to do is call Pelican for instructions on how to have the lifetime warranty honored. My guess is you buy a new one, then replace, then send crappy one back and get refund.
Good Luck :lmao2

#5 ·
I blew a set of Bilstein SP front struts after 4 years, rear set after 3 years and another rear set after 2 years. They can last the lifetime of your car or they can last less than a year. It all depends on how you drive and how your car is setup. I have stiff sways and I track my car, so I don't expect them to last more than 2-3 years at a time.

Anyways, Bilstein has great warranty. I paid for shipping and got a brand new replacement everytime.

Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.