BMW Werkz banner

Must I bleed my brakes?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  saltshaker185 
#1 · (Edited)
While trying to adjust my parking brake shoes, I losened the shoe retainer pin (the one that goes through a spring, through the brake shoe, and grabs on to the outside of the brake dust shield) by mistake. I did this on both sides.

Once I figured out what I had done, I removed the brake rotors and put the retainer pin/spring back into place. I did not losen or remove the brake fluid hose, nor did I push in the caliper piston. I simply pulled the caliper out, and then pushed it back into place when I was done.

I have not dirven the car yet, since I am not sure that doing so will be safe. I trust the work I did, and conventional thinking tells me that everything should be fine. I have read in many places that bleeding the brakes is not necessary unless I have losened or removed the barke fluid hose. Pelican Parts' DIY for adjusting the parking brake shoes even suggests pushing in the piston a little (whihc I didn't even do), yet says nothing about bleeding the brakes.

Am I safe? Discuss. Thanks all.

#3 ·
Thanks, Shahab.

Does anybody else have an opinion regarding this? Not to dis Shabab, but I would feel better if I had more than one lonely soul confirming this. I feel pretty confident already, but it wouldn't hurt if you chipped in.

#6 ·
shahab is right. you only need to bleed them if you somehow introduce air into the lines. That would require either opening your master cylinder or removing lines.

#8 ·
You are absolutely fine. You can push the pistons back in if you need to without bleeding. Clean it off first and blow with air. I always attach a hose to the bleeder screw, and crack the bleeder when pushing a caliper piston back in. This keeps nasty dirty fluid from finding its way back to the master cylinder or worse the abs system.If you ever go this route make sure the master cyl is full and leave the bleeder open for a few minutes after opening it.... gravity will remove the air. Sorta like a post nasal drip!You can also just push the piston back in slighty with out doing the above esp if the fluid is clear and looks good. Just food for the future...Bottom line u done good!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.