motor swap help needed!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adambates87 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation motor swap help needed!!

well as the story turns out i smased 325i busted up the entire front end !! i picked up a parts car and am swapping out the enginr and tranny. my origional car was a 2.5l auto and the one im putting in is a 2.5l standard. sooo i got everything all figured out except my wiring... the harnesses dont match up and im wondering just what i should do?

Anybody have any ideas please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i will post complete photo album when finished as well
#3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 AM
n00b

RedBee is on a distinguished road
swaping engines takes alot of time dude in your case are the 2 cars the same make and year? my dad did an engine swap from a sebring to another sebring one was 2003 and one was 2005 the 2003 needed the engine and my dad swaped every thing then noticed the wiring wasnt the same. He then switched the wiring and the car wouldnt start or any thing, he took it to the dealer and the dealer told him the engine you have put is not the same as the one that was in the car and it wont work even if u changed the plugins.... turned out the engines are the same but the computer in side the engine that read the codes and such wernt the same....

Last edited by RedBee; 03-11-2010 at 12:46 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

dudehog is on a distinguished road
are there any plugs on the harness that do fit and what ones don't? given that the majority is under the inlet, can you not just take the inlet from your old car?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes! (Sorry, that's all I have to offer on this subject. How the heck did you to the engine? Do you have a cherry picker or what?)
#6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
almost every plug matches up except the one off the tranny and the ones off the fuse box but that is because the origional car had an automatic and im swapping it out with the 5 speed as well. Even the ECU's are only one number differerent. im only really concerned about the plugs off the fuse box.

I got into a nasty accident... rear ended someone at about 70km. so not too pretty haha picked up a parts car for 1500$ i figured pretty good deal and its all done and ready to go excpet my wiring haha. also did a bunch of body work on my hood, skirts, and rear bumper. i ended up just buyin a new front bumper and lights. ill post pics of before and after. i also swapped out the entire interior from my origional cloth to leather.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
lol ask me how hard it was pulling the motor and tranny by myself haha...
#8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, I'm totally asking. Someone told me this morning (so I don't know if it's true... I can't see how that would work very well) that you could raise the car up and take it from the bottom but still... those fuckers are heavy!
#9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
it was ridiculous!!! i had the car up on stands, cleaned out everything in the engine bay, hoses, wiring all that shit, had a small cherry picker lift but the smart guy that i am left motor and tranny all in one haha ( figured it might be easier... big mistake) i had a small roller jack underneath the tranny and pulling it all out at the same time lift and pull and lift and pull haha. i was thinkin about goin through the bottom but i didnt feel like tearing apart all my suspension and all that shit i just got it all set up beautiful for cornering.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 PM
n00b

RedBee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambates87 View Post
it was ridiculous!!! i had the car up on stands, cleaned out everything in the engine bay, hoses, wiring all that shit, had a small cherry picker lift but the smart guy that i am left motor and tranny all in one haha ( figured it might be easier... big mistake) i had a small roller jack underneath the tranny and pulling it all out at the same time lift and pull and lift and pull haha. i was thinkin about goin through the bottom but i didnt feel like tearing apart all my suspension and all that shit i just got it all set up beautiful for cornering.
PICS or it didnt happen lol jk so back on topic did u fiuger it out
#11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
haha well im not done the project yet im just waitin for parts and shit. i ordered up and new front bumper kit and smoked lights, short throw shift kit and a 50hp chip so im excited to see what its gonna be like... and yes it will happen and yes i will put up the pics, unfortunately im too broke for paint so the hood and body kit are just flat black i will have it on the road by the end of the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)