More Power and speed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kaydoe is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation More Power and speed

Hey people what's up!?!

I recently purchased a 320i 93 with little to no mileage. The only down fall is it's automatic.( Bought it in hast) Anyway, the car is beautiful all around however, it's sooooo slow off the line. I know generally the weight of a bimmer is considerably more than a Honda per say but still!!! My car doesn't have the option to turn the Traction control off so what can I do? used:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Eh? No option off for DSC/ASC? What's up with that?
As an automatic, there is little you can do to keep the car in it's... er... power band. I don't really see anything other than the standards - do maintenance (filter changes and spark plugs could see better throttle response), and then if necessary mods. You know. Cold air intake, headers on exhaust, supercharge, chip. But then you better get some suspension upgrades, cause it's going to go like a muddafudda.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:51 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
The 320i is the slowest E36 BMW out there. It does have a little more power than the 318i but it is offset because of the weight of the 6cly. There isn't much you can do and not really anything worth doing besides a tune up. In my opinion it is not worth doing to above listed mods to it except maybe the chip. The supercharger is too expensive, exhaust/headers won't do much on the stock engine, and CAI isn't going to make the kinda difference you want. But if you get a chip you might as well get the CAI.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
engine swap time

#5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
The 320i is the slowest E36 BMW out there. It does have a little more power than the 318i but it is offset because of the weight of the 6cly. There isn't much you can do and not really anything worth doing besides a tune up. In my opinion it is not worth doing to above listed mods to it except maybe the chip. The supercharger is too expensive, exhaust/headers won't do much on the stock engine, and CAI isn't going to make the kinda difference you want. But if you get a chip you might as well get the CAI.
Agreed on all accounts. I mentioned those above things because I know there are some fanatics who would never want to gut or trade in their car... But in the end it is much more cost effective to... (holding breath) get a higher baseline... Exhaust would add MAYBE 5hp, CAI <10... It's expensive for small gains. The chip would be the most cost effective, but I've always been under the impression to chip last. I could be wrong there.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
It just depends on your plans for the car. If you are going to swap cams, do F/I or simliar major mods, then you either want to get a reprogramable chip or wait until the end to do it. If you are just doing basic stuff to it, then there is no problem with getting the chip early.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:39 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Ah. See, I was always under the impression that chipping is not reprogrammable...
What about sharking? (as I have OBDII)... Granted, I won't be chipping the car... is there a specific time to shark?

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:23 PM
General Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
Ah. See, I was always under the impression that chipping is not reprogrammable...
What about sharking? (as I have OBDII)... Granted, I won't be chipping the car... is there a specific time to shark?
on the weekends anytime after 12pm...

(no specific time, when u order it make sure and tell the company wat mods u have)

#9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 PM

You would have to re-shark the car. I know if you get a Chip from bavauto.com you can get it reprogramed for cams and other such mods.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate all the info however I just need to clarify on some tings, I'm new to this car mod thing. I reading alot of things I know nothing about such as "sharking","F/I","CAI","DSC/ASC". School me fellas on this shyt! I know about some mod's like port and polish, chips, exhausts systems, intakes, manifolds. I have put a kick ass exhaust on and I get some power outta it, but again that initial off the line pull doesn't kick in until I'm at about
4-5kRPM.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
sharking-a form of computer enhancement (but doesnt apply to your model and year)
FI -forced induction (turbo etc)
CAI- cold air intake
DSC/ASC- is BMWs traction control system

you should really look into performance chips, one for hte engine and one for the transmission..... the perfomance chip will give you a better range of power and remove the rev limiter and top speed...... the tranny chip will give the transmission a more aggresive change and allow the car to act a bit more like a 5 speed manual..........

if you really wanna go big ($$$) you could do a tranny swap to 5 speed (lots have done this) and check out a decent turbo or supercharger setup, or you could swap in a 325 or 328 OR M3 engine. you wont be dissapointed in these upgrades at all

#12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 AM
General Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydoe
I appreciate all the info however I just need to clarify on some tings, I'm new to this car mod thing. I reading alot of things I know nothing about such as "sharking","F/I","CAI","DSC/ASC". School me fellas on this shyt! I know about some mod's like port and polish, chips, exhausts systems, intakes, manifolds. I have put a kick ass exhaust on and I get some power outta it, but again that initial off the line pull doesn't kick in until I'm at about
4-5kRPM.
actually the exhaust on these cars have minimal to no gains at all...the highest dyno exhaust that actually has shown some gain is the UUC System U orignial with like 2-3 hp if even that, its all about the sound...and that kick u get at 4-5K is vanos..its like V-tec for bmw's...umm yea a 93 means ur gona need to buy a chip for ur ecu..cars that are 96+ required software flush, us pre 96's just add a chip...i would recommend u get the chip last, so that u can tel the tuner wat mods u have and they can make the chip as specific as possible...as far as intakes, if u havent heard of a CAI, its probably the best intake type around for these cars....actually...here are a few websites to check out that have mods for our cars...

www.dinancars.com
www.activeautowerke.com
www.turnermotorsports.com
www.uucmotorwerks.com
www.mmotorwerks.com
www.bavauto.com
www.understeer.com
www.bimmerworld.com
www.koperformance.com

#13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks alot for the tips boys I appreciate it!

Cheers!
#14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
actually for dinan you have to buy the chip first. before any upgrades but to shark it you should do it last because once you upgrade you can buy the last stage upgrade instead of upgrading 1-3 with each upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)