Mod Ideas for 97 e36 328 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nam328i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Mod Ideas for 97 e36 328

Alright...I currently own an e36 328 and love everything about it. This summer, I wanna step it up a bit and start doing some aftermarket upgrades to it. I plan on running a short ram intake, exhaust system, and finally a shark injector. My question is what do you guys think/recommend from experience are the best products/brands in the areas im looking to get into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
n00b

Cheesypuffs is on a distinguished road
I would think about the exhaust twice... looking to spend $$ on something that is BARELY going to give you a 1/2 hp... the intake I would recommend the k&n, and with the injector, bavarian is pretty good only that its like 100$ more than the shark.... good luck...
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesypuffs
I would think about the exhaust twice... looking to spend $$ on something that is BARELY going to give you a 1/2 hp... the intake I would recommend the k&n, and with the injector, bavarian is pretty good only that its like 100$ more than the shark.... good luck...
1/2 a horsepower? where did you get that figure from?

to be honest those 3 bolt on mods are a good start they will give you more than the above mentioned 1/2 horsepower and the car will sound great. for the money and the experience i have with modding and seeing other people mod the best bang for your buck would be to do a few other things first.

things to consider..

-a 3.23, 3.38 or even a 3.15 LSD differential- will give you way better acceleration and the added LSD will give you better handling.

-m50 manifold conversion- this kit will benifit your car much more than any short ram intake, because the runners of the 328 car are much more narrow and longer than the m50 it doesnt flow as well.

-suspension- shocks/struts and springs are a god sent upgrade for our cars, the cars already handle amazingly but with an upgrade you can push your car harder and further in corners. also if you lower your car you will get a nice look as well

-shark injector- lots of people say its a waste of money and comparitively speaking i think it is. yes you do get a decent bang but the buck is sometimes pretty steep.

-CAI and shortram intakes- A good Cold air intake can make a marginal difference on our cars in terms of performance, combined with other bolt on mods this mod can be a great asset, on its own its just going to make a nice sound and give you minimal gains. i was present for a dyno test of air filters where they used a CAI and a combination of intake filters and compared them to the stock airbox using a stock filter and of course a drop in K&N. suprisingly the stock airbox using a stock filter was better in some cases than some of the combinations of CAI and shortrams. a good alternative to a short ram IMO is a drop in K&N or stock filter with a debaffled box.

-exhausts- some are better than others, but they all do the same job in terms of peformance some give a hp gain more or less than others. in picking an exhaust do your homework and find out which one suits your visual and audible taste.

those are some of the best starter mods that someone can look into in my opinion. all have a purpose i suppose, and some will work great together . for instance the LSD diff and the suspension will make your car much more go-kart like. the M50 mani and CAI along with a proper flash to compensate for both mods will be a huge gain.

the main thing in this is money, if you were to pick up one of each item above your looking at some serious money so when choosing what you want to do and money is an issue choose wisely and do your research to see how others have found the mods to be. ultimately if you really want to make a winner out of the car (performance wise) i highly suggest skipping all the bolt on mods and look to either forced induction or a worthwhile engine swap. i have done every bolt on mod out there and then eventualy turned to FI. the money i would have saved going FI right away would have been awesome.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
What exactly is need to convert to m50 manifold? Can you do this without a kit say you buy the things you need and get a manifold from a scrap yard or local part store. Is it really worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Well said Furious. Hey check out Turner Motorsport, Bavarian Auto, Eurosport High Performance.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb
What exactly is need to convert to m50 manifold? Can you do this without a kit say you buy the things you need and get a manifold from a scrap yard or local part store. Is it really worth it?
yeah you can get it from a scrap yard it will still help however they are hard to find as scrap.

here is some more info on one..

http://www.namotorwerks.com/products...hp/II=221/PA=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)