Mileage - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
GBears is an unknown quantity at this point
So I've had a automatic '96 325i for a bout a year now and i've always thought my milage was average, 16-18 mpg. I've never really thought it was good but I thought the low mileage came with BMW power. But I was talking to my friend and he says that he gets around 24 mpg. His lowest is 21. Is there anyway you guys recommend to raise mileage, maybe of device of some sort. Thanks
GBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
pcy
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by GBears@Aug 22 2005, 02:26 PM
So I've had a automatic '96 325i for a bout a year now and i've always thought my milage was average, 16-18 mpg. I've never really thought it was good but I thought the low mileage came with BMW power. But I was talking to my friend and he says that he gets around 24 mpg. His lowest is 21. Is there anyway you guys recommend to raise mileage, maybe of device of some sort. Thanks
[snapback]371633[/snapback]
Here are some suggestions:
Make sure the tires are properly inflated,
Reduce weight as much as possible (remove junk from trunk)
Make sure air filter and fuel filter have been changed at proper intervals
Tune up (new spark plugs, if necessary, new wires/coils)
Lastly, take it easy, aggressive driving = poor gas mileage.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Beemert is an unknown quantity at this point
Might change the fuel filter too. Inexpensive and easy. Look into your O2 sensor as well. Mine went bad and I noticed an improvement in MPG as well as performance.
Beemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
One member, ClarenceT, had an AIM away message yesterday for a ebay item to save gas mileage. There were 29 bids and it ends today. It was a wood block to put under your gas pedal.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by GBears@Aug 22 2005, 03:26 PM
[snapback]371633[/snapback]

A good tune up including cleaning the injectors and throttle body always helps. Have the Oxygen sensors looked at if they're original or have high mileage on them. Most diagnostic scanners can read the output from the O2 sensors as well. Something as simple as a good wax job and RainX on the windshield and windows to reduce drag helps at highway speeds. Proper tire inflation (near the tire's max rating...) will help it roll easier. But the biggest factor is just the way you drive. Take it easy as much as practical.

Mike......... Miami, FL
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mrsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
16-18 mpg?!!

I would check all of the above mentioned items (tires, sensors, etc.) and try driving CONSERATIVELY (no dragracing, jackrabbit starts, full throttle passing, etc.) and see just how many miles you can get on a tankful.

I have a 98' 328is...I am getting about 400 miles to a tankful. 15 gallons a tank makes for almost 27 MPG.
mrsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)