BMW Werkz banner

messed up electrical system

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jaws325 
#1 ·
The other day my mom was driving my car (1993 325i) , and she said the power in the car flickered. All the lights and stereo (after market) went out but came right back on (with -- INPUT TIME -- on the computer). She continued to driver the car home. Then the next morning she told me, so I went out to check it out and the starter won't even turn over. All the lights and stereo come on, so I know my battery is ok, but I am not sure where to start... any suggestions?
-Adam

ps. my mom is never driving my car again.

#2 ·
doesn't mean necessarily the battery is good. It may have enough juice to turn on the stereo and lights but not enough to start the car. You need to boost it off and then have the charging system checked.

#4 ·
for now you can try to bump start it

Do you have an amp?

If so I would recommend getting some type of extra power supply....so that you don't run down your battery....

#5 ·
Check fuses, if you don't hear a clicking, or grinding when you try to start it then your starter or alternator may be shot.

#6 ·
Bump starting won't fix the problem, which is all I want to do really.
I put a switch to turn my amp on and off in a blank spot right by my seat heater swiches, so it's off.
I think I am going to have to get it towed to a mechanic. I have tried everything I can think of. I just hope it's some connection somewhere that I can't see instead of a busted alternator or starter.

#7 ·
hello to all :wave

I came across this site while troubleshooting my electrical problem on my 92 325i.
Same thing, I get all my lights,radio, warning lights etc...EXCEPT my guages don't work..(fuel Temp)..If I turn the key to the run position and the fuel guage works then I know the car will start.
I'm looking up in the repair manual and find that the tach,fuel,temp and speedometer are linked together...that's how far I got...Hopfully it will only be a loose groung at position E12 (now if I can only find the Earth location E12 behind RH footwell)...
PS let your Mom drive your car only when U need gas... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.