Meine nächste Modifikation .......... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Meine nächste Modifikation ..........

My next modification..........

Ok, my clutch fan has been showing signs of self destruction! I was just going to replace it, but I have not done anything lately, as far a modification & you know me, I love working on my car..........this will be a good Saturday project & I wanted to get it done before my surgery 2 weeks from now......

As for the modification, all your modern day Bimmers have done away with the mechanical fan, & all have electric fans. I thought about just doing a fan delete mod, but rather have the safety of 2 electric fans, I found this electric fan DIY which I will be following.....

DIY link:

Spal electric fan wiring DIY - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

I will be using a 16" Spal Electric pull fan with skewed blades and a airflow rating of 2070 (CFM's) , manufactured in Italy a very good quality fan......also had to purchase the fan wiring relay kit & metal brackets. from The Fan-Man

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size...049-p-219.html

UPS just dropped it @ my door, today......

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-21-2010 at 04:45 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1996 BMW 328i
Photos:
Texbeamer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

sounds like a great project, is this a separate fan kit from the one we already have in our cars?
Texbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeamer View Post
sounds like a great project, is this a separate fan kit from the one we already have in our cars?
Thanks.....yes it is a separate kit, the fan in the front of the radiator/condenser is the stock Auxiliary fan............

jbg
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Electric fans make sense...

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
Electric fans make sense...
Yeah......it was like the BMW GOD's were calling to me, I was driving my car on the highway one day last week, & the engine sounded slightly louder, especially during acceleration, it definitely sounds like the mechanical fan.....I remembered reading some E36/E39 threads & the horror stories about the clutch fan exploding, propelling fan blades all over the engine compartment, into the radiator & up into the hood.......

So, I get into town & I am stopped at a light, I look to my left & to my surprise there is an E39 parked with hood dents coming up through the hood right in the area of the clutch fan!

Thank You....... BMW GOD's for the warning!

jbg

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-22-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
So, I am finished with my Spal E-Fan installation, all in all, it was pretty simple.
It took roughly 3 hours. Prep & install......I have it wired into the low temp. side of the coolant switch (91 degrees). There is a high temp. side to the coolant switch which is set to turn the fan on when the coolant reaches 99 degrees, but I opted to run it on the low temp. side, just to play it safe! After running to operating temp. temp. gauge dead center, with the outside temp. at about 60, the electric fan came on just once........everything is operating as designed!

There was about an 1.5 inches of clearance between the water pump pulley/shaft and the fan motor.

Fan relay & 12 volt power source location.

Fan harness ground, fan connector & coolant temperature switch connection location.

I decided to leave the stock radiator shroud in place, because the Coolant reservoir is mounted to it.

Some random shots.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
lookin' very nice!

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
lookin' very nice!

Thanks! witeshark.........

jbg
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
clean install...looks nice
i envy your wheels
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
clean install...looks nice
i envy your wheels
Thanks! Texbeamer! Who knows? Maybe, I might want to sell them one day, stick around!

jbg

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-26-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBgood View Post
Thanks! Texbeamer! Who knows? Maybe, I might want to sell them one day, stick around!

jbg
I'll be waiting
question...is the fan installed on the radiator or the rad support?
i am thinking of doing something like this soon... here in Tx the weather gets really hot just today was 90degrees
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
I'll be waiting
question...is the fan installed on the radiator or the rad support?
i am thinking of doing something like this soon... here in Tx the weather gets really hot just today was 90degrees
lol.....you never know, I have been eying these Diamond Black BBS RGR's.......
sell the Contours & my Black Beyerns with tires & put it towards remaining $$Balance$$ ......$2,800.00 for the set.

and yes it mounts directly to the radiator, check out the bimmerforums link in the initial post above^

Meine nächste Modifikation ..........-bbs_rgr_db_ci3_l.jpg
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
dang...those look super nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)