Manual vs Automatic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pino is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Im a noob to driving at the moment....im almost about to get my licence. I've never driven nor have i been in a car where someone isdriving MANUAL. It can't be that hard but i was wondering- is it more fun than a pain in the ass or should i just go with Auto. the whole downshift on turns seems like a pain . How long will u get used to it? thanx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Professional1.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	5116  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:24 AM
n00b

Cliff is an unknown quantity at this point
If you've never driven before, I suggest you practice on automatic and get used to the roads for a while before trying manual. When you feel comfortable with automatic, you can learn manual ... it really isn't that hard but at first it will be. You get used to it pretty fast (it'll take you maybe a week). I prefer manual because you really get the feel of your car and it is fun Hope that helps you out buddy.

Take care,
Cliff
#3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:34 AM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
i drive an auto right now, and its alright, not the best but alright, my truck is a stick however, (whihc would dominate on my car) haha so i get my share of driving a stick, when i get my 325 it will be a stick too, im getting sick of the auto, cant race, just not as fun
#4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
5th Gear Member

the///man is an unknown quantity at this point
an auto is better if you congested traffic in your area and will also give you better resale value. but if your just starting out your going to want to drive a auto. trust me, you wont wont to learn how to drive a manual on a bmw.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
I learned a stick on my bimmer, and it wasn't hard. I'd also been used to riding with my father in his boxter too though. If its possible, you should get a manual. It will be a lot more fun and downshifting on turns isnt a pain in the ass or even required, it just lets you go threw the turn with higher RPMS and accelerate out quicker.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:07 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
i learned how to drive on manual e46, and now i have a manual e30. its a very easy concept to learn, and the feel will come to you if you practice. you'd be suprised at how downshifting/revmatching comes naturally without alot of experience, if you have enough confidence
#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:08 PM
5th Gear Member

it also helps to know what your doing, meaning how it all works. ie what engaging the clutch actually does
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i learned manual when i was 14 on my old 92' civic. learned auto (hehehe) nearly 4 years later. now i drive both everyday.

honestly depending on what kinda driving you do, id get a manual gearbox. straight out manual is better. its more exciting to drive, the power is always better.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Snowjob is an unknown quantity at this point
If your parents have an automatic car that you could drive at least untill you get your license that'd be ideal. The longer you wait before switching to manual the better. I'm 17 and i'm just going over to manual now, my Accord is automatic (used ot be my parents). I HIGHLY advise learning on an automatic, because when you're about to make that left turn at a busy intersection and you and your parents are bugging out because you're not sure what to do, you're going to want to keep the car control as simple as possible. Trust me on that one; learning to drive with your parents is stressful enough. (Note: don't go with your mom)

Then when you have more experience and think you're a perfect driver like me, bring it down to stick. Even driving an automatic you learn a lot of hte fundamentals once you get to know your car ie. when the car kicks down a gear, the pedal positions, rev matching, the works.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ehlpitel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowjob@Dec 23 2003, 01:25 PM
If your parents have an automatic car that you could drive at least untill you get your license that'd be ideal. The longer you wait before switching to manual the better. I'm 17 and i'm just going over to manual now, my Accord is automatic (used ot be my parents). I HIGHLY advise learning on an automatic, because when you're about to make that left turn at a busy intersection and you and your parents are bugging out because you're not sure what to do, you're going to want to keep the car control as simple as possible. Trust me on that one; learning to drive with your parents is stressful enough. (Note: don't go with your mom)

Then when you have more experience and think you're a perfect driver like me, bring it down to stick. Even driving an automatic you learn a lot of hte fundamentals once you get to know your car ie. when the car kicks down a gear, the pedal positions, rev matching, the works.
thats bogus, start out w/manual itll make u much better nad more alert driver...auto is the worst
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 PM
5th Gear Member

those last remind me of the cartoons where the character has a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other
#12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Neutral Member

Pino is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hah, ur right.
im comfortable on the road....and i'll have my full licence within the next two weeks.
My choises are...
1| a MANUAL 325ic (with racing chip, halos, rims, etc)
2| a AUTOMATIC 325is (Xplode, fancy sucurity system) (more practical)
-=they are roughly the same price @ 12k=-
*oh, have you ever switched into the wrong gear? It boggles the mind, i cant see where the gears are used * thanx!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Snowjob is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the specs on those two cars? I'm shopping around myself and I would have priced htem a grand or two higher.

I'd get the coupe with the manual, which isn't one of the options. Depends on where you live. I'm in NY where it snows in the winter so I'd feel pretty stupid driving around in a convertible, but that's just me.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

e36m52rocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e36m52rocks
Yeah... It does suck in the snow here in NY... too bad our debate got lost snowjob! Oh well, if anyone wants any of the shifting info I posted, just give a holler and i'll repost. Snow - It was a pleasure debating! So happy to finally be in some community where the people know their stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)