Manual Or Automatic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
binny959 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

hey all, i am new to this forum and this is my first posting. I am seriously looking into getting a 1997 BMW 328i. I totaled my 1990 honda accord and am looking to majorly upgrade my ride. I was searching the other day on eBay and said what the hey, maybe I can find a nice durable but cheap BMW. Then I came across the 97' 328i and my mind was set for this car. Looks just like an M3, I've always love the euro style cars, nice and boxy but also aerodynamic in a way...but anyways...I've heard the BMWs aren't right without a manual transmission and this car is an auto, what disadvantages are with the auto and advantages with the manual, also I know it is rear wheel drive, and I do have to deal with 4 seasons so any help would be appreciated....also, how is the viewing of the road while in the driver's seat, I've never sat in one of these but it looks like the steering wheel won't align with the dashboard so I'm not looking at the top of the steering wheel while i'm driving if that makes any sense to you that are 5"9 or shorter....i look forward to your responses!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 PM
n00b

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to caveman
I myself prefer to drive stick. I like to smoke people off the line if you know what i mean. In automatic cars ive driven you just dont get the same feal. plus u have less to do and i easily get bored driving automatic but hey welcome to forum im also pretty new

-brad

<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/727367' target='_blank'>My old vehicle</a>///////if Napolean Dynomite drives a bimmer.
Should'nt you?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

BaLAnCe17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BaLAnCe17 Send a message via MSN to BaLAnCe17
i have heard of some pretty crappy Ebay auto stuff, and some good. i would be very careful on what u purchase there. especially a BMW! like caveman said, the manual tranny is insane. if there is an opportunity grab it! the auto is great too, just not as much todo lol

#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am a firm believer that if your car is an auto, the person sitting on the driver's seat isn't really driving. With a manual transmission the experience is enhanced a bunch. Be careful with eBay purchases. Welcome to the forum. Run a search. In general, you'll discover that most members favor the manual transmission. SOme say that if the deal is too good, you should go for the auto. I think if it is an auto, then the deal isn't that good.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Neutral Member

shuiyuan is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 318is 5 speed car, the clutch and shift is much hard than japanese cars, i thought my clutch got some problem,so i asked in this forum.. they told me, BMW's clutch and shift is hard than japanese cars, when i drive my bmw 318is i feel a lot tired than my nissan 240sx( my foot) so i am thinking to buy a japanese car for daily working ride, then put my bmw in the back yard, then put a car cover on it, maybe only drive 1 time in a week...
lol, i have to meet horrible traffic jam everyday, max 25mph on the 605 freeway, maye thats the reason make me feel tired..
more step on the clutch will waste more clutch board, it will cost a lot on BMWS, around $1000 janpan car is good for work..

Adult online store: TOYS,FETISH AND LINGERIES
http://www.sexcityxxx.com
please visit to see great prices!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Neutral Member

shuiyuan is an unknown quantity at this point
manual is drive for fun, auto is like a relex drive mothod..
manual is cool but no for TRAFFIC JAM, maybe you will feel ok, for me, auto is a lot easier for traffic...

Adult online store: TOYS,FETISH AND LINGERIES
http://www.sexcityxxx.com
please visit to see great prices!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
lotta city driving and not much "spirited driving" (BMW's tend to bring the spirited part out of people) then get the auto
if you like cars and get pleasure out of driving around and don't have lots of traffic, get the manual fo' sho.

I have the auto gearbox and although I hate it because I really do want a manual, it's actually not a bad transmission. if you put it in 3, that puts it in sport shifting mode. There's also a manual button where you can select the gears yourself. I find myself using that a whole bunch when I'm driving like a maniac. There is a SOLID 1.3 second delay from when you tell it to shift and when it actually shifts, although you can sorta get use to this.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

PJV 528 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its true, both boxes have advantages + disadvanatges. Manual cos it feels ure in true control of the car is more racey, but sucks when your sittin in a traffic jam. Auto is more relaxed but may feel not in conrtol of the car.

Ive got an auto box with septronic...best of both worlds and it rules!!

Good luck on your decision.

<a href='http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1118083' target='_blank'>Check out my ride!!!</a>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>(From Family Guy) Brian to peter: Well peter you've only got a couple hours left. If your gonna pull a party outta your ass you might wanna stand up!</div>
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
FYI, incase you didn't know, Steptronic is NOT triptronic....
Steptronic is the gearshifting I described.

#10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:39 AM
n00b

M3Fredd is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore@Jan 26 2005, 08:00 PM
FYI, incase you didn't know, Steptronic is NOT triptronic....
Steptronic is the gearshifting I described.
[snapback]279951[/snapback]
I say NO!!! but that's just me. Auto is a big no no. Do you want to drive drive? or just look pretty in the car...The clutch is harder than most cars for sure but I am from Europe and shifting is part of driving....
#11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
screw that.. sure driving stick is fun for a little while untill u get stuck in traffic.. then its just a pain in the ass.. my car is automatic..

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Neutral Member

///M Dream is an unknown quantity at this point
hey
with auto, you dont feel the car's power too much, its all smooth, with the stick, its so much more exciting and you feel a connection with the car.
about the winter, i would suggest either winter tires or studded tires.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 02:15 AM
2nd Gear Member

BaLAnCe17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BaLAnCe17 Send a message via MSN to BaLAnCe17
its all preference. if he lives in a big city w. alota traffic, then get an auto. sure its not as much fun or whatever, its a lot less hassle though w/ an auto always stopping and going

#14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Neutral Member

taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Stick. I just boutght a 318 convertible, and my wife couldn't drive a stick, so I taught her (on my old car), no she's hooked too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)