BMW Werkz banner

Maitenence Checklist- The Full Monty

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  supark 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am getting my new BMW this weekend! yes, and the first thing it needs done is an oil change, easy...DIY stuff. But as time goes on, I will need to do regular tune up and maitenence, From what I've gathered I need some more info and advice on this 'checklist'. I need some good estimates for the ???? marks. Bold is for the more important tune up. At least I think..I hope there isn't already one out there, otherwise I'd just wasted alot of my time!!! oh well. :lol:

ENGINE/ELECTRICAL/MISC TUNE UP

1. Oil Flush & Change, replace oil filter- every 3000-5000 miles
depending on driving conditions.

2. Intake Air Filter- replace (or if aftermarket- clean & oil) every 10,000 miles. (BMW recommends every 40k miles...err)

3. Fuel filter- 'recommended' (by pelican parts & other DIYs) replace every 10,000 miles.- It's ok to go up to about ~50k miles, I'd do every 30k miles. (BMW recommends every 40k)

4. Spark plugs- recommended replace every 10,000~15,000 miles- use Bosch OEM Coppers, majority proven that its best performing. can be extended up to ~30,000 miles, but check often. (BMW recommends up to every 40k miles...)

5. Alternator/Pulley/Drive belts- replace every 4-5 years.

6. Battery, Alternator- replace when broken.

7. O2 Sensor- Replace when failing or not working. (recommended every 60,000~100,000 miles)

8. Idle Control Valve- clean when idle is fluctuating (clean every 80,000 miles) Or replace if cleaning is impossible.

9. Differential oil - recommend change every 50,000 miles....(BMW recommends 40k miles)

10. Coolant flush and change- change every 24 months. Once a year highly recommended. (Bentley manual suggests once every 36 months...) Use OEM BMW coolant or equivalent, distilled water mix only.

11. Air cabin microfilter- replace every 10,000~15,000 miles...(BMW recommends every 20k)

12. Thermostats/Housing & components- replace ???? - no idea on this one. Heard that you should replace along with water pump.

13. Water pump- - Replace immediately if still using old plastic impeller, otherwise, after install of newer metal water pump, replace at about every 60,000 miles.

14. Timing belt- replace every 50,000~60,000 miles.

15. Radiator hoses- replace every 4-5 years.

SUSPENSION COMPONENTS-

No estimated mileage available- just check it annually, no idea how to though...

1. Control arms- Replace when worn. (Includes ball joints)

2. Ball joints- replace when worn.. (replace with Meyle heavy duty metal one from bavauto)

3. Control arm bushings- recommended replacement along with control arms.

4. Rear shock mounts- replace when worn...Recommended replace with Meyle heavy duty components.

5. Trailing arm bushings- replace when worn....

DRIVETRAIN

1. Automatic trans fluid (if you have an auto) - replace every 40,000~50,000 miles. (I have a proper gearbox, a manual)

2. Clutch and clutch components - Replace when worn...usually every 50,000 miles

BRAKES

1. Brake pads-- replace when worn- OBC should notify you when replacement is necessary. Brake pad sensor might need replacement as well.

2. Brake fluid flush and change- Change every 24 months.

TIRES

1. Replace worn tires, this is a no brainer- usually when 20-30% tread left, always replace at least a pair of two tires at a time (IE: front two tires, rear two tires) in order to avoid misalignment, also makes it easier for future replacement.

2. Check tire pressure every month or so, buy a tire pressure tool. Acceptable tire pressure is usually ??????????. Check manual...

3. Tire rotation and balance- usually after buying and replacing new tires.

CAR CARE

1. Wash regularly- whenever dirty or whenever you feel like it. use high quality soap & suds. Dry with soft chamois.

2. Wax every ~2-3 months for pristine shine, every 4 months for basic paint protection. Use high quality meguiars wax, mothers, etc. check detailing section for more info. Polisher recommended before wax.

3. Claying the paint- optional- should be done once a year and/or whenever you have lots of time, polish and wax is required immediately after clay is applied to paint.

I think that's it! for regular stuff. Please list any other common maitenence tips and parts that should be replaced here, and please give me those unknown estimates!!!

:cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
fuel filter = 10,000 miles

Spark plugs = depends on the plugs most recommended 10-15,000 miles.
- i have NGK iridiums and change them every 15,000

Coolant change and Radiator flush = every other year or every year to be safe. Only use BMW coolant and Distilled H20

Bleed brakes every other year (that's what i do)

If your brake pad light turns on you have to buy a new sensor when you relace the pads. Some, not all, but some replace the rotors and pads at the same time.

Most suspension components you change in pairs and when they are worn. No real need to do it every X miles, just when they need replacement unless of course upgrading.

#9 ·
manual says to replace fuel filter at 100k miles, along with differential fluid, and automatic transmission fluid (this is for my 93 btw).

I've heard of people replacing spark plugs every 30k miles - any more often seems like overkill, if you're really worried - I'd just pull em a couple times in that period and make sure they're in good shape. These engines burn pretty clean, so the plugs shouldn't be black and fouled unless something is very wrong.

#10 ·
really? wow? hmm...

well that works, Just to be safe, I guess I can change every ~20k miles for spark plugs, 50k miles for fuel filter and differential fluid...

I really do think every 10kmiles for some of the parts is overkill, but 100k for fuel filter change is a bit much, that's 10 years for average driving...

but many people highly suggest the original numbers I posted...hmm.

Can somebody give me a definitive number, maybe from the bentley manual or haynes...?

what manual are you referring to supark? your owners manual or some tech one?

EDIT: Got some real numbers from recommended BMW inspections from dealer (taken from Inspection I + II lists). They say every 40k miles for fuel filters, air filters, differential oil, & spark plugs. Also says 20k miles for microfilter change.

#11 ·
These rules are not set in stone, rather guidelines. I think a lot of it has to do with your driving conditions and the way you drive. Bumper to bumper traffic and repeated stop and go are much harsher on your car than highway driving at a constant speed. Therefore regular maintenence is more integral in a car that is worked harder. The numbers I came up with are from mechanics and research i've done. But, you should do what best suits your driving needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.