I am getting my new BMW this weekend! yes, and the first thing it needs done is an oil change, easy...DIY stuff. But as time goes on, I will need to do regular tune up and maitenence, From what I've gathered I need some more info and advice on this 'checklist'. I need some good estimates for the ????
marks. Bold is for the more important tune up. At least I think..I hope there isn't already one out there, otherwise I'd just wasted alot of my time!!! oh well. :lol: ENGINE/ELECTRICAL/MISC TUNE UP
1. Oil Flush & Change, replace oil filter- every 3000-5000 miles
depending on driving conditions. 2. Intake Air Filter- replace
(or if aftermarket- clean & oil) every 10,000 miles.
(BMW recommends every 40k miles...err) 3. Fuel filter- 'recommended' (by pelican parts & other DIYs) replace every 10,000 miles.
- It's ok to go up to about ~50k miles, I'd do every 30k miles. (BMW recommends every 40k) 4. Spark plugs- recommended replace every 10,000~15,000 miles-
use Bosch OEM Coppers, majority proven that its best performing. can be extended up to ~30,000 miles, but check often. (BMW recommends up to every 40k miles...)
5. Alternator/Pulley/Drive belts- replace every 4-5 years.
6. Battery, Alternator- replace when broken.
7. O2 Sensor- Replace when failing or not working. (recommended every 60,000~100,000 miles)
8. Idle Control Valve- clean when idle is fluctuating (clean every 80,000 miles) Or replace if cleaning is impossible. 9. Differential oil
- recommend change every 50,000 miles....(BMW recommends 40k miles) 10. Coolant flush and change-
change every 24 months. Once a year highly recommended. (Bentley manual suggests once every 36 months...) Use OEM BMW coolant or equivalent, distilled water mix only.
11. Air cabin microfilter- replace every 10,000~15,000 miles...(BMW recommends every 20k) 12. Thermostats/Housing & components
- replace ???? - no idea on this one. Heard that you should replace along with water pump. 13. Water pump-
- Replace immediately if still using old plastic impeller, otherwise, after install of newer metal water pump, replace at about every 60,000 miles. 14. Timing belt-
replace every 50,000~60,000 miles.
15. Radiator hoses- replace every 4-5 years. SUSPENSION COMPONENTS-
No estimated mileage available- just check it annually, no idea how to though... 1. Control arms
- Replace when worn. (Includes ball joints) 2. Ball joints
- replace when worn.. (replace with Meyle heavy duty metal one from bavauto)
3. Control arm bushings- recommended replacement along with control arms.
4. Rear shock mounts- replace when worn...Recommended replace with Meyle heavy duty components.
5. Trailing arm bushings- replace when worn.... DRIVETRAIN
1. Automatic trans fluid
(if you have an auto) - replace every 40,000~50,000 miles. (I have a proper gearbox, a manual) 2. Clutch and clutch components
- Replace when worn...usually every 50,000 miles BRAKES
1. Brake pads-
- replace when worn- OBC should notify you when replacement is necessary. Brake pad sensor might need replacement as well. 2. Brake fluid flush and change
- Change every 24 months. TIRES
1. Replace worn tires, this is a no brainer- usually when 20-30% tread left, always replace at least a pair of two tires at a time (IE: front two tires, rear two tires) in order to avoid misalignment, also makes it easier for future replacement.
2. Check tire pressure every month or so, buy a tire pressure tool. Acceptable tire pressure is usually ??????????. Check manual...
3. Tire rotation and balance- usually after buying and replacing new tires. CAR CARE
1. Wash regularly- whenever dirty or whenever you feel like it. use high quality soap & suds. Dry with soft chamois.
2. Wax every ~2-3 months for pristine shine, every 4 months for basic paint protection. Use high quality meguiars wax, mothers, etc. check detailing section for more info. Polisher recommended before wax.
3. Claying the paint- optional- should be done once a year and/or whenever you have lots of time, polish and wax is required immediately after clay is applied to paint.
I think that's it! for regular stuff. Please list any other common maitenence tips and parts that should be replaced here, and please give me those unknown estimates!!!