BMW Werkz banner

m50 Swap!

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Mackay 
#1 · (Edited)
So first a little back-story. I have a '92 e36 with a m50 (non-vanos), and in march I overheated it at the track and broke the plastic radiator return-hose attachment, surprising... Since then I had never been able to satisfactorily bleed the system. Last week it started overheating again, I saw what I thought were punctures in the radiator so I bought a new one and replaced it, and the car worked fine. Two days later it overheats again on my way home from work. After muuuch puzzling, a friend helped me deduce that the head was leaking ever since it was severely overheated in march. This also explains why I could never seem to bleed it. So I called a local wrecking yard that I trust and was lucky enough to get a used m50 for $650. I'm also lucky enough to have some mechanic friends and one of them walked away with it for $550 for me :D. So the engine arrived today (delivered at no cost to my friend's shop!) and I brought it home with me.

Only a couple hours in yet, but I removed the clutch and flywheel and put it on the stand, removed the A/C compressor and pulleys as I intend on deleting the A/C entirely as it's not the most crucial in Seattle, and I'm thinking I'll be able to shave around 80 pounds! Also removed the oil filter housing and timing wheel. Gonna be looking up more seals and gaskets than I wish to tonight, and hopefully have them ordered by tomorrow to start further disassembling and resealing!! :)

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.