M50 Radling Noise At Cold Start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:40 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW-Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Hello

I have a BMW 320i (M50 with Vanos) from 1993 with 150.000 km on the meter, and I have the recent time as temperatures are dropping to below 0 C degrees in Denmark observed that when I start the engine from completely COLD condition, then SOMETIMES the engine starts with a radling noise (tak tak tak), which then quickly disapears after 1-2 seconds. It is not everytime that the sounds appears, and that puzzles me a bit.

I was thinking about the following sources to the problem:

1) The hydraulic camshaft chain tensioner
2) One or more of the hydraulic valve openers (even though I think the noise is too loud to come from a small valve and I dont hear any ticking from the valves at normal hot engine operation....but maybe)
3) Something in the clutch (it feels a little worn and you have to lift the clutch pretty high to make the car drive)

Both 1) and 2) are related to the oil viscosity at low teperatures, but what do you think? Am I completely wrong or does anyone else have other ideas?

As a background information I can mention, that earlier I have had problems with another radling noise originating from the lower part of the engine, but ONLY when the enigine was warm and had been driving with a lot of use of the clutch and ONLY at idle speed. But after I took it to a workshop and they used some engine oil system cleaning chemical and then added some new oil (0W30 full synthetic), the noise completely disapeared and have not returned. I then made the conclusion that the sound must have come from a dirty hydraulic camshaft chain tensioner not operating properly and therefore not tensioning the camshaft properly at idle speed. Becuase of the earlier problems with the camshaft tensioner, I am suspecting that it could be the source of the problem again.....what do you think???

Hope you can help me with some input.

Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:56 AM
JAX
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
Hej Christian.

I would not worry to much about it ... for now .... that is the valve lifter and the sound comes maybe because of the thick oil.
A good ideea would be to change the oil with some more thin oil.
And in the spring I would take a look at the valve lifter and change them if needed or adjust them.

I am more than sure that changin to a thiner oil or adjusting the lifters will help.

Abou the clutch .... when did you last checked the fluid ? The clutch is hydraulic if i am not wrong and the liquid could also get old and think on the cold .... freezing here in Jylland

--== 316i Cupe / 325TDS Engine ==-- <br> --------------183 HP----------- </br>-- == JAX the RiPPeR == --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)