M50 Intake Manifold Swap....... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......

I'll be doing this m50 manifold swap this weekend, I chose to go the cheap route & do the swap with my own diy install kit......by purchasing all the hosing, t-fitting, elbows, clamps, gaskets etc. There is also a diy version for sale @ M50manifold.com that goes for about $130.00 plus shipping or I can go all out & get the premo install kit for about $350.00.......

So my question is, has anybody done this m50 manifold swap DIY style, by building the kit yourself, & how did it go?

johnny,

Step by step DIY link:

Modifications

DIY Install Kit: $130.00 also my version for about $18.00 bucks....

Premo Install kit: $350.00
Attached Thumbnails
M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......-diy-m50-intake-install-kit.jpg   M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......-intake_m50_manifold_conversion_adapter_kit_328i_m3_1995_1996_1997_1998_mann1_1.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-07-2008 at 10:31 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Everything I have read online implies that the only advantage to the fancy kits is that they eliminate the trial-and-error and the driving around town to get all the parts that fit. If you do everything correctly, you shouldn't need an expensive kit.

All that said, when I was going to swap the M50 manifold on my car, I was shopping around for kits. At the time there was a guy with a group-buy on bf.c. He did the swap and figured that he knew exactly what to get and how many, so he started putting kits together and selling them to other members. Maybe you can find something like that.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Everything I have read online implies that the only advantage to the fancy kits is that they eliminate the trial-and-error and the driving around town to get all the parts that fit. If you do everything correctly, you shouldn't need an expensive kit.

All that said, when I was going to swap the M50 manifold on my car, I was shopping around for kits. At the time there was a guy with a group-buy on bf.c. He did the swap and figured that he knew exactly what to get and how many, so he started putting kits together and selling them to other members. Maybe you can find something like that.
Thanks.....this is exactly what I wanted to hear, being I love to do all my projects on my own & @ the best price.....& I will check out bf.c.
thanks again,
johnny,
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Bump......

Update......It took me 1 hour to remove the original m52 manifold from my car today...also found out that I needed the m50 manifold connector & a new place to mount the temp. sensor, so I purchased the m50 manifold connector for $4.73 & a 95 m3 intake boot for $17.00 from the Dealership today, got 15% off for being a BMW CCA member.
The m3 boot has the extra hole in it to hold the temp. sensor in its new location.....
M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......-95-m3-boot.jpg
Also, I decided not to use the 2 throttle body gaskets with cutting the one in half method....instead, I made a template using thick paper, & then fabricated this throttle body plate with aluminum...now I only use 2 new throttle body gaskets without having to cut the one in half....
M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......-throttle-body-plate.jpg

As far as the mounting of the Crank Vent & the ICV......I will be modifying the m52 manifold brackets, so these items will be mounted securely, I will post some pics on Saturday....when I finish the swap......

Note:
Also, it only makes sense to replace the 4 small heater core to heater valve hoses, now that you have easy access to them........
M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......-heater-core-hoses.jpg

johnny,
Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
babyboy16v is on a distinguished road
M50 intake problem?

good day

The name is Ismail and im from south africa- i drive a bmw 328 tht has been bored out to 86mil and a 330 crank-
i have installed the m0 intake manifold but then picked up a problem whereby there is a breather pipe that connect to the dipstick thst is connected to the intake- on the first start up, it sucked up the oil from the sump into the intake.

i have followed the installation given on the internet on ho to do it-

can i block of the breather thats from the dipstick?

please halp.

regards
Ismail
babyboy16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1996 318is
Photos:
CanadianWraith is on a distinguished road
pretty ghetto jb..... i LIKE it!!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 95 325 TDS SE
Photos:
Davetherave890 is on a distinguished road
am i best keeping the injectors and the throttle body that i got with the 325 manifold? is it a job worth doing myself with the kit? i currently have a 323.
i hear it takes away some torque but gives a high end BHP.
Davetherave890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetherave890 View Post
am i best keeping the injectors and the throttle body that i got with the 325 manifold? is it a job worth doing myself with the kit? i currently have a 323.
i hear it takes away some torque but gives a high end BHP.
I would keep the original injectors & throttle body you have...... as for your other questions these links will give you your answer:

E36 M50 inlet manifold swap / install - details

Official M50 Manifold Swap Thread - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)