BMW Werkz banner

M50 Intake Manifold Swap.......

45K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  johnnyBgood 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll be doing this m50 manifold swap this weekend, I chose to go the cheap route & do the swap with my own diy install kit......by purchasing all the hosing, t-fitting, elbows, clamps, gaskets etc. There is also a diy version for sale @ M50manifold.com that goes for about $130.00 plus shipping or I can go all out & get the premo install kit for about $350.00.......

So my question is, has anybody done this m50 manifold swap DIY style, by building the kit yourself, & how did it go? :conf

johnny,

Step by step DIY link:

Modifications

DIY Install Kit: $130.00 also my version for about $18.00 bucks....:rolleyes:

Premo Install kit: $350.00

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Everything I have read online implies that the only advantage to the fancy kits is that they eliminate the trial-and-error and the driving around town to get all the parts that fit. If you do everything correctly, you shouldn't need an expensive kit.

All that said, when I was going to swap the M50 manifold on my car, I was shopping around for kits. At the time there was a guy with a group-buy on bf.c. He did the swap and figured that he knew exactly what to get and how many, so he started putting kits together and selling them to other members. Maybe you can find something like that.

#3 ·
Thanks.....this is exactly what I wanted to hear, being I love to do all my projects on my own & @ the best price.....& I will check out bf.c.
thanks again,
johnny,

#4 ·
Bump......

Update......It took me 1 hour to remove the original m52 manifold from my car today...also found out that I needed the m50 manifold connector & a new place to mount the temp. sensor, so I purchased the m50 manifold connector for $4.73 & a 95 m3 intake boot for $17.00 from the Dealership today, got 15% off for being a BMW CCA member.
The m3 boot has the extra hole in it to hold the temp. sensor in its new location.....
Product Plastic Pipe Optical instrument Photography

Also, I decided not to use the 2 throttle body gaskets with cutting the one in half method....instead, I made a template using thick paper, & then fabricated this throttle body plate with aluminum...now I only use 2 new throttle body gaskets without having to cut the one in half....
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Metal

As far as the mounting of the Crank Vent & the ICV......I will be modifying the m52 manifold brackets, so these items will be mounted securely, I will post some pics on Saturday....when I finish the swap......

Note:
Also, it only makes sense to replace the 4 small heater core to heater valve hoses, now that you have easy access to them........
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

johnny,

#5 ·
M50 intake problem?

good day

The name is Ismail and im from south africa- i drive a bmw 328 tht has been bored out to 86mil and a 330 crank-
i have installed the m0 intake manifold but then picked up a problem whereby there is a breather pipe that connect to the dipstick thst is connected to the intake- on the first start up, it sucked up the oil from the sump into the intake.

i have followed the installation given on the internet on ho to do it-

can i block of the breather thats from the dipstick?

please halp.

regards
Ismail

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.