M44 ported & polished head and cams - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zq-8_dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have their cylinder head ported and polished? I am looking into aquiring a spare cylinder head to have ported and polished.

I have aquired several cam specs so I am going to talk to the local machine shop to see if my cams can be re-ground and which of my specs will work best.

I am hoping to pick up a complete spare cylinder head for around $250 so I can start this project. That way I can have the cams ground and the head all done so I can still drive the car.

Does anyone know what the stock BMW cams are made of? I am hoping that they are ground from a solid piece of metal and not the Press on type lobes.

As for the porting and polishing goes, I am going to probably gasket match and then have some of the combustion chamber also ported, but just mildly. I am going to try to have a guy that I know port the intake and exhaust ports with a CNC mill by programming in the gasket as the template and then hand polish everything.

The only thing that I am concerned about is proper tuning after everything is done. Hopefully I can adjust everything without having to have the computer reprogrammed. I am hoping that I can use a AFPR to get the air fuel ratio in tune and the that computer doesn't flip out. Does anyone know where I could have the computer reprogrammed, I know that some places retune the computer for the DASC people.

I was looking into getting an exhaust and intake and maybe a shark injector, but that was going to cost me about $800+ where I figure I can do this for around the same price and produce better gains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I completely agree with you, and have been looking into the same mods(except ofr M52). Intakes and exhaust systems give you decent power increase, but not compared to ported heads and custom cams.

Buying another head to send out is the way to go. You can sell your existing head when the other one is back from the machine shop.

But, all of the increased head flow is useless if you don't get more air through the intake manifold. I haven't been able to find a high flowing intake manifold that didn't require an OBDI conversion. I live in NY and switching from OBDII to OBDI is illegal and you can fail inspection. Has anyone seen a free flowing intake that didn't require the conversion?
#3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
On the intake manifold, I think that it will flow enough for the ported head and cams, I might try a bored TB if my machine shop can do it, (sorry but I am not paying $450 for a TB).

I am also going to look into porting out the intake manifold a little or atleast polishing it a little. I think that cleaning up the casting marks on the manifold or opening it up a little might be useful (the m44 uses an aluminum manifold)

Right now the car puts out approx 140HP MAX to the flywheel. So with head work and cams I am shooting for about 160HP. This will all be a learning expierence and if I can learn something it is worth it to me. If I get it all done and it runs like crap then it is just another challenge to make it right.

I was originally planning on going with a supercharger but that seems to easy and I like the challenge of N/A. If the head and everything turns out good, I might consider raising the compression to 10.5:1 or 11:1.

I think that they exhaust manifold flows pretty well so I will leave that stock for now, but eventually I might have one made, yes made. I can have stuff made cheaper than I can buy it for.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:32 AM
2nd Gear Member

docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware the pursuit of high rpm horsepower at the cost of low - mid rpm torque...

Both mods; new cams and cylinder head porting and polishing will make almost all of their power gains in the last 2,000 rpm before the redline. You will move your torque curve up the rpm ladder, at the cost of torque under 4,000 - 5,000 rpm.

As the peak torque rises toward your redline, usable rpm is lost because your low and mid range torque are unfortunately reduced. Sadly, we spend most of our legal driving time under 5,000 rpm. My 325i M50's torque peaks at 4200 rpm, and your M44's peak stock torque is at 4300 rpm.

It would be great if we could find a way to increase low and mid rpm torque for our day to day city driving!

Well designed and dyno tested Supercharged and Turbocharged engines can make more torque (and therefore more BHp) across the rpm range. Besides, whats wrong with a supercharged 3 Series BMW?
#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Sep 2 2004, 11:23 PM
I completely agree with you, and have been looking into the same mods(except ofr M52). Intakes and exhaust systems give you decent power increase, but not compared to ported heads and custom cams.

Buying another head to send out is the way to go. You can sell your existing head when the other one is back from the machine shop.

But, all of the increased head flow is useless if you don't get more air through the intake manifold. I haven't been able to find a high flowing intake manifold that didn't require an OBDI conversion. I live in NY and switching from OBDII to OBDI is illegal and you can fail inspection. Has anyone seen a free flowing intake that didn't require the conversion?
hey man,
I was wondering why you would port the head of an M50 engine. I had the manifold off about a month ago, and while I am a BIG proponent of porting polishing and gasket matching as a general rule, with the M50 engine there is a high precision CAST PLASTIC intake manifold... no casting flash or or anything inside of it. also there is not a conventional gasket, but rather these rubber o rings, one for each of the intake ports. looking at the marks left by the old o rings.. I dont think there is much in the way of gains if anything to be had because the mating is actually excellent. Also the head is not liklely to flow much better on the intake side as with the manifold off you can almost see the entire length of the path from intake to the chamber, (you can actualy touch the valve stems!!! with no problem they are so close.

Those we just my observations, so I was wondering whether you have found there to be gains, and whether there were machine shops doing this work.

Thanks
#6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've talked to three different engine builders, and all of them are picking 30-40hp by porting both intake/exhaust, and stuffing bigger valves in. NYC is right though, torque does suffer.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear Member

docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, dude! That was me about the torque...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well Hopefully tuesday I will know about a spare cylinder head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)