M3 Wheels - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
(Thread Starter)
Checked out the wheels I am looking to get. They are the 17 inch Contour style M3 wheels, in chrome. I know the setup is usually staggered with 7.5 inch width in the front and 8.5 inch in the rear, but for some reason, I think these were 9 wide inches for all four. Will they fit my 318i E36? Will there be any problems other than the little bit of a rougher ride? I would assume these require 235/45/17 size tires. That or 245/45/17. Any insight would be very helpful. I don't want to buy rims that will end up sucking and won't be right. Thanks fellas.

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
I think it fits. Look here: http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/Whe...=&autoYear=1996

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 06:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mr White G is an unknown quantity at this point
9" wheels on an E36? I think you might need spacers or stops to prevent rubbing. I don't think they'd need to roll the arches due to the 'high' of the rim but it could be a helpful prospect....

You might find that it is tricky to turn the car due to the limited amount of steering lock.

Otherwise, they'll look PHAT!

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 08:39 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link Dutch,

The rims actually look like the AT Italia Rims listed on TireRack.com

TireRack does say that 8.5's will fit up front, so I would assume that 9's wouldn't be that different. Its probably possible that the rims could have different offsets meaning that the rears fit differently for front and rear. I supposed I will have to check them out again.

The only reason I am even interested in these rims is because I have an opportunity to get them used for $300 in great shape for all 4. Some guy bought new rims and had them put on at a Monroe Auto Shop and my girlfriend got her car fixed there. So the mechanic saw my car when I dropped her off and offered the rims to me. He said the guy told them that they could just keep them since he had no need for them. What a dumbass. His loss could be my gain, pending on how they fit...

Otherwise I wouldn't even be getting the rims, but I am on the verge of needing new tires, so why not do it all at the same time...

Still waiting on some suggestions for tire sizes??

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

12&quot; Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Infinity Kappa 4&quot; 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25&quot; component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&amp;N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
#5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I wouldn't recomend a 9" wide wheel. On the e36 8.5 is as wide as I would go, but 8" would be ideal. Bigger is not always better. Better is better.

As far as tire sizes, it is whatever you want. IF you like to "drive" your car, I would recomend a 245/45ZR17 tire. This will sacrifice a little ride quality, but is a great "driving" size. IF you want a little better ride, you might opt for a 225/55HR17.

first number= width (the wider the better handling, but can also induce tremmling)
second number= height (the lower the profile the better for handling, but will also enduce a harsher ride
Z-rated v. H-rated= Z is more performance, H is a softer ride and better wet weather

#6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:49 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot jllphan...I wouldn't usually go for 9in. either, its just the fact that I can get a sick wheel for that price (they usually go for about $300 A PIECE, I am getting the WHOLE set). When we measured the wheels, we only measured two of them, so they may actually be staggered. I hope they fit because they are a sweet looking stock wheel. Would a 245/45 make my car look too high compared to the stock 15s with 225/60? TireRack was suggesting a 235/40...

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

12&quot; Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Infinity Kappa 4&quot; 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25&quot; component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&amp;N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
#7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Jun 22 2004, 01:29 PM
Would a 245/45 make my car look too high compared to the stock 15s with 225/60?
No, not at all. The stock 60series tire is much taller. A bigger wheel with a shorter side wall wouldn't alter the ride heighth much at all. In fact this larger wheel will fill in the fender well better and actually make the car look more agressive.

BTW, a 40series tire (like the tirerack recomendation) is a very low profile tire. This will offer excellent performance tendencies, but it will also be a VERY firm ride, too much for me as I recomend a 45series tire at a bare minimum.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
*cough* wus

Kevin

P.S. Dyno plots! DYNO PLOTS!!!

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)