m3 Engine decision - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
m3 Engine decision

Ok i currently own a 318i, 1995 m43
I am looking at dropping a m3 engine into my baby
(I take these jobs seriously i had my car converted from auto to manual, i dont just talk i do)

The Engines i have been looking at are the
m3 3.0 Litre
and the 3.2ltr including the Evo Engine.

My car is the sedan "prefer over coupe" using a gearbox from a 328i 5 speed with a m roadster short shifter.

So the advantages and disadvantages of both engines...

Or would i be better off buying a 328i engine and modding it??

Secondly this dash on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-E36-3-SER...QQcmdZViewItem

I am looking at getting it, mine is worn just wondering how big of a job im looking at, to replace my current with this one.
Secondly my car at the moment does not have a passangers airbag, would this matter.. if its to difficult ill leave out hooking up the airbag, as long as mine works

Anyway if you have some input into these decisions and questions lemme see them
mmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
evo > all american made M's

if the evo is out of the question than the S50 engine is a good idea for you because its obd1 your car is obd1 it will be an easier swap to do overall (more money to pocket for mods and other pop-up suprise fixes)
Old 10-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
At the same time... if you're going to get an m3 evo engine, you might want 6 gears instead of 5. Or you're probably going to have some strangely tall gears/an overdrive gear.
I haven't done this, but that's what I'd expect, yah? I could be very wrong.
How much did that tranny swap cost you?

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Where are you located?

Yesterday at a car meet some guy was talking about a guy north of LA who has swapped 3 s52's into 318ti's. I think hes your man even though you have a sedan.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
evo = 3.2l euro spec right? forget about it...i heard when that high pressure vanos brakes ur ass is screwed...stick with the euro 3.0 if u can get it or us 3.0, easier to drop in, obd1 = better, less headache cuz no uber vanos system..
Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Im actually located in Australia.
The tranny swap was $3,200 Australian. (approx $2,700us)
I think i would prefer a 6th gear as well, but so far the 3.0 obd1 looks like its the best idea.
Also does anyone know any good wreckers in America because i will have the engine shipped. It will still be alot cheaper than buying an engine in Australia.
The 6th Gear, should be needed for the 3.0 OBD1 since im pretty sure they came with 5 Speed manuals.
And at the moment i actually have my 318i running a dif of 4.1. Max Speed 170km/h or 107mph. Thats when it hits red line, and she gets there pretty quick "well fast for 318i"

Ok while the engine is out what should i consider modifying..
ALso another option is to get a downer atlanic super charger onto the 318i but i will still be slower than the m3 and after that there isnt that much more room for decent improvements.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Dont worry i know i will have to get a new dif with the m3
Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
oh ur not in the US??? well is there any shops u know who can fix the high pressure vanos? did the evo 3.2 model release in aus? hmmm
Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
After the DA S/C there isn't much that does not cost a whole lot. You can get some parts from BMP that would work well with the S/C but are very pricey. So basically after the money for the S/C you would still need to spend nother 3k to get all of the worth while parts from BMP. So yeah, its not cost effective to do.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmclaren
Im actually located in Australia.
The tranny swap was $3,200 Australian. (approx $2,700us)
I think i would prefer a 6th gear as well, but so far the 3.0 obd1 looks like its the best idea.
Also does anyone know any good wreckers in America because i will have the engine shipped. It will still be alot cheaper than buying an engine in Australia.
The 6th Gear, should be needed for the 3.0 OBD1 since im pretty sure they came with 5 Speed manuals.
And at the moment i actually have my 318i running a dif of 4.1. Max Speed 170km/h or 107mph. Thats when it hits red line, and she gets there pretty quick "well fast for 318i"
Ok while the engine is out what should i consider modifying..
ALso another option is to get a downer atlanic super charger onto the 318i but i will still be slower than the m3 and after that there isnt that much more room for decent improvements.
Ha! Looks like you've got it all planned out! I see you've sacrificed what little top speed in the 318 for a little zip... That's a good idea, IMO, seeing that even on track you're rarely going over 100 (autox).
I wish I could help you materials wise, but I do not have the meanse. Good luck in your engine search!

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Evo engine wasnt released in Australia, but since i would be importing an engine, it wouldnt matter if it was a australian release or not.
And my little 318i goes alrite, upgraded ECU cold air intake, the 4.1 dif, bilstein coilovers continental 225/45/17 all round, m3 bushing, as far as handling goes its awesome, but its the low revs that annoy me, comming outta a corner and trying to grab the speed, that is the original reason for the dif.
But im bored of a little 1.8 so time for a 3.0-3.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)