BMW Werkz banner

///m Front Bumper Or Not?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Cruzin 323is 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I need some help with this decision. I hit a retread off of a truck tire two days ago, at about 85 mph, and fubar'd my front bumper, fogs lights, passenger side duct work, wheel well liner and under the car portion of my passenger side fender. Body shop tells me that I wrinkled the under car portion of the fender like a piece of paper and also bent the rocker panel. My employeer is going to pay for all the repair and stock parts. So far the estimate is for about $1500+. So do yourselves a favor and dont hit shit in the road at high speed. I know this could be worse but I love my car and its ugly at the moment. Anyway, I am thinking of upgrading to a ///M front bumper but I dont have the money to do the full ///M body kit. Would it look 'odd' or 'ugly' to do the front bumper but not the rest of the kit at this time? If not a ///M bumper what about a ACS or some other front bumper? I have to call the body shop around 12:00p.m. CST so any opinions early today would be most welcome. Thanks in advance. Oh, btw, the car is a 96 328is in black.

My long term goal is to build a 'sleeper' car that is also autox worthy. I have given consideration to a full M-technic body kit but that was very last on my list of mods. Performance and suspension are more of a priority in my mind. The only cosmetic changes I have have to date are clear corners(smoked), clear sides and clear tails.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Deloriant. That is what I was thinking as well but wanted to check with the majority here to see if the thought is shared. BavAuto has a 'kit' for the M front bumper that includes the lip spoiler, I think, but I dont think I really want to add the lip spoiler. Anyone else?

#6 ·
I think it will improve the look, it depends though do you have the grey(unpainted) bumper areas(front and rear and side skirts)? I don't remember if they started to sell them painted at a certain point, I had to paint mine. If you do I would get those painted as well while they are doing other things. Other than that though it is a big improvement and would look really good. By front lip do you mean the black rubber piece? I like it and would leave it on too.

jshearer

#7 ·
My car came fully painted, no grey side skirts or bumper pieces. I dont really know what the front lip is exactly. From what I have been able to dig up on BavAuto, the front lip spoiler is similar to a DTM lip spoiler and if that is the case, I will most likely leave it off. I dont want to end up with a fast and furious look.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys r0x0r.

I think I will go with the ///M front bumper, with mesh instead of slats. That is, unless I can find a better looking front bumper. I sort of like the look of the ACS type 1 but not as much as I like the look of the ///M. I just need to hurry up and make a decision, I am driving my wife nuts with this, hehehe. I cant help it, I love my car and I know she isnt happy. She is ugly, no fogs, cracks and paint damage.

#8 ·
Does the M front bumper sit lower to the ground than stock?
If so does anyone know how much more?

#9 ·
Well, it just gets better and better. I cant find a body shop that believes that the ///M bumper will fit NOR will they even price attempting to install it. I got pissed off about it so I went to my mechanic/local bmw shop, who has treated me better than I ever expected. I explained the situation and the 'bad' treatment I was receiving from the different body shops, one they had recommended included, and they are going to call monday morning and bitch out the owner of that shop for me. Also, they gave me a sweet deal on the parts, full ///M bumper kit, fogs and the rest of the replacement parts with FREEEEEEEE shiping. They are even giving me euro tails at dealer cost to make up for the bullshit I have had to deal with. Great guys to say the least. I was upset about my car but now I feel so much better. It is truly a great day now. OOH OOOH, I even get to take mine and my wifes car out to a local autox track tommorow for some fun and drinks, courtesy of my mechanic. They are doing some testing on a couple of their race cars, a E36 with over $100k in mods and a E30 with about $65k in mods, and are going to let me play for a few laps. If I can remember to carry the digi-cam, I will take some pics for everyone.

Thanks for the replies. :cheers

#11 ·
and side skiirts. and then. u might as well get the rims too. and the window tint. oh. and then get the bmw wing. and lower ure car. roll ure fenders too while u are at it. and repaint the whole car to make it look better. then. u should reupholster the interior. oh. get the uuc exhaust. and some better headers. oh. and y not get a cold air intake. hmm. that sounds yummy.

#12 ·
All of the suggestions do sounds tempting but there is always that nagging issue of people wanting money for all those things. A portion of the above list is on my 'to-do' list but not at the moment. I am only planning on small exterior changes. The rest of the money spent on this car will be performance based. I have a list for my wife's Z3 as well, so...........

#13 ·
wow, sounds like a shitty boddy shop u got there.. but your mechanic hooked it up huh?? SICK!!

anyways... your car will look great with the m3 front bumper.. BTW.. does your car have the sport package.. with the better side skirts??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.