lowering a 325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yuhou411 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
lowering a 325i

hi guys i jsut noticed today how my car looks like a monster truck..8.5 inches off the ground in the front. so i have bilstein shocks ... not sure if their sport or HD (BMW 1994-2000 318ti (E36) - Bilstein Right Front HD Shock F4-VE3-4401-H0 >> Bilstein Heavy Duty (HD) Shocks)

i was wondering if theirs anyways i ca lower the car, i know getting H&R springs will help but i dont have taht kind of money to spend rightn now.

also im not sure wut kind of spirngs i have... their black.. is there anyways to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Neutral Member

325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
Making out your springs are black im guessing they are Factory !!!!!! But then I could be wrong. As you probably already know by now addding shocks simply wont lower your car unless you have an adjustable setup you are installing. Yes H&R is probably one of the best to install, I know that because I just used them recently myself or you can go with eibach but dont expect the 100% drop as it as shown before to some you dont get the complete drop.

My guess on your question would be to try and save up for some sort of Lowering Spring ,I wouldnt recommend anything else but there are probably others on here who know other ways if there are any.

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 AM
n00b

harper is on a distinguished road
Buget racer trick, cut your stock springs! Start by cuting one coil should yeild about 3/4 inch drop. because the rate goes up as you shorten the spring your ride will stifen
Best
#4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

This is dangerous. The springs were designed to work as they were built --as a unit.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
n00b

harper is on a distinguished road
BMW didn't design the car to use H&R or eibach or diferent mfg. parts it voids waranty. What do you think sport springs are shorter with stifer rates
Best
#6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I wasn't talking about the car's design, but the design of the springs themselves. The spring rate is not constant throughout the entire spring. The spring is designed so that there is a progression in spring rate along the length of the coil. Furthermore, cutting introduces the risk of bad fit. Moreover, the springs would have to be cut EXACTLY the same, or he would be driving with a sideways car. Springs are cheap. Just save up for a few months.

Also, if you put in lower springs and don't change the shocks, you will ruin your shocks. So whether you cut them () or put in lowering springs, you will need new shocks anyway.

#7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
+1 on what drz said. Please dont cut your springs, its the stupidest thing to do. If you dont have the money wait until you get it or check for used one in the classified section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 PM
n00b

320Ibeccyz is on a distinguished road
If you dont want to spend a fortune on springs then you might find some places that will heat shrink your springs and remould them..I don't think its legal so they probably won't admit that they do it but it might be worth ringing around and asking if they will "reset your current springs?"
#9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
yea bro. save up the money. In the long run it will be the best investment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)