Low Coolant? I don't think so... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Low Coolant? I don't think so...

Just wanted to check on this since I can't check the coolant level tonight.

Went to move my car back into the driveway after all of our thanksgiving guests left and when I turned on the car the OBC said low coolant and the check engine light was on. After using some choice words for a min and backed the car up the light went off and so did the OBC warning. I then pulled up into the drive way (very steep slant) and the light immediately came back on. I'm thinking that it is only because of how steep the drive way is, but last time I was home it wasnt a problem.

I'll be checking the level tomorrow (or later today as the case may be), but I'm not really expecting to find low coolant... Just wanting reassurance that my baby is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
The sensor may have gone bad. Spurious low coolant warnings are a staple of e36 ownership

#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
mine was going on and off all the time, added water and tightened the cap

make sure your cap is tight, that how i lost some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 AM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
grrr... I hate sensors. Sure they are nice, but they always go bad. Going out to check it out now then to grab something to eat.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
It's about an inch low when cold. Is it a 50/50 mix?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
It's about an inch low when cold. Is it a 50/50 mix?
yuppers, 50/50 mix is what it uses.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM
n00b

Winter has a spectacular aura about Winter has a spectacular aura about Winter has a spectacular aura about
and was it cold that morning? Hydrology theories

Encountered this anomoly with a bunch of people on another board. Seems around the first cold spell of a season that peoples OBC's start complaining that their coolant levels are low. Mine even talks down to me like an idiot and tells me to "consult my owners manual". The general consensus to this whole thing is to top the tank off with coolant and hope it goes away. If that fails to work, the next step is checking the electrical connector at the bottom of the overflow tank, looking for a sticky float, or replacement of a faulty sensor. One thing Ive found different and interesting in your statement, is that you were parking on a slant when this came about. My encounter with this also occured on a day I was parked on a 'slant'. I never parked on that angle again, nor did I add any coolant to the tank ( I will once I pick up a jug) but the warning never came on again. Sounds like, in addition to lower levels due to cold water contraction, I'm missing just enough coolant that this slant parking lowers the sensor float to below full levels.

~At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.~

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
I checked it out and it seems that the Coolant is actually low, but not by much. It got down to the high 30s, but its been about that cold a few weeks ago, so I'm. OT sure that it is anything other than I've lost about an inch of Coolant if that. Which perhaps on the slant tripped the sensor.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

whosyadadie01 is on a distinguished road
yea mines telling me the same thing and everone in my car has to remind me that it says my coolant is low
#10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
n00b

Winter has a spectacular aura about Winter has a spectacular aura about Winter has a spectacular aura about
hey whosyadadie01, did you know your 'low coolant' light is on?

Yah, mines down a couple inches from the cold mark. So the thing is right. The weird part is that everybodies light is going on at the same time due to atmospheric changes. Maybe not so weird scientifically, but kinda funky just the same.

~At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.~

#11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

im going to try adding some and see if that helps ... is it any specific kind?
#12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
I use zerex i think that is how it is spelled...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
n00b

dont ask me what Ive been smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
I use zerex i think that is how it is spelled...
Yah, careful with that.. cus ZAREX was this cherry flavored syrup stuff they sold back in the 70's. A gooey, liquid form of kool Aid. Coulda been an east coast thing, havent seen it in a long time, dont recall it being real tasty ( Kool-aids counterpart 'FUNNY FACE' rootin' tootin' Rasberry' was better). Regardless, it would wreak unholy hell with your cooling system, but surely make it taste alot better.

Last edited by Winter; 11-23-2007 at 10:33 PM.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i dont think they would sell that at my local auto parts place but thanks for the warning, im shure my car would love a nice cherry flavored taste to it tho lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)