loud noise - including clicking - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tsinghbmw is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello all. My first post. I have a 92 318is in Canada. Runs fine until I did this:
Got the oil changed to Castrol Syntec (I dont know what was used before) 5W40. At the same time, I was told the tranny fluid (its manual) was low, so I decide to get it flushed and refilled. Any I'll make this brief: Oil change is no problem. Seems that there is usually a tag besides the nut on the transmission to determine if there is a tag use Dextron II, if not tag, use standard hear oil (80W). Anyway, the owners manual said Dextron. Initially it was filled with the standard gear oil. I drove off, and damn! I hear a loud bang on the right rear! Then I hear something strange (loud noise) once again. Thinking nothing of it (there were a lot of machines around), I drove off. Then I started hearing (as I accelerated into 4th) a constant clanking and ticking noise coming from the right side of the car (sounded like its from the back right). I turned around scared and told them off. They researched again and from the owners manual they put in Synthetic Dextron this time (flushing the tranny fluid again). So now I drive off, and it still is there!! The ticking noise. Initially when I drive from stand, the noise is not there, then as I hit 2nd 3rd 4th gears, I start hearing the constant ticking (loud) noise from the right. The noise (the ticking) lowers with speed. Even in neutral rolling, I hear it. Pissed, I told the manager I want a full refund and a note because I plan on taking it to the dealer and if it's anything to do with the tranny, you are liable. He co-operated.

Anyway, the long and short of it is ... I am not convinced its the wrong fluid in the tranny that caused this. Anyone else have this clicking/clanking noise as they drive off? When sitting in idle (in gear or neutral) this clicking etc is not there, only when driving. Strange and sad since I dont wanna put any money in the car.

As I got home (20km) off the highway (yes, I drove like that, what choice did I have on a Saturday?), things sounded okay (the clicking was there but lightly). Anyway, at a stop light as I proceeding to go, I heard a one time bang noise again! Its crazy (or driving me crazy).

Any suggestions, ideas or experiences to calm by raging anger?

Thanks, T.
tsinghbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Bengali86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Bengali86
I dont have any help to give, but Man that sucks, Im sorry
AC Schnitzer chip
A monkey in the trunk (stock)
Dual V-Tec
Bengali86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
does the ticking get faster and slower?
Old 05-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
the clicking paces with the speed so yeah, it slows down with the car slowing down and visa versa. just half hour ago i was heading to home depot and when there was no clicking (yet possibly). BUT, at a stop light when i slowed to a complete stop, i heard a loud (one time) metal-like clank again! its not exactly like a detonation but its close, with the addition that it also sounds like some metal hurling in there as well!
crap. i u-turned and headed back home pissed.
anyway, monday i will get it towed i think to the bmw dealer in the early morning.

if anyone has some clues, i'm all ears.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
in case anyone needs this info: my hand brake shoes were heavily worn and there was some pin that broke loose (that caused the clicking noise). the once in a while banging was possibly the seizing of these components i'm told. i will pick it up soon and see if its really fixed. i really hope so!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Yah, my handbrake is kinda F*$#ed up also... if I use the handbrake with the wheels rotating forward (at any speed, for about 45 degrees of a rotation) then the rear brakes may squeek like crazy when I drive untill I hit the handbrake while the wheel is turing backwards, to like, reseat the brakes.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I would get that looked at because in Toronto, to install new shoes and the wheel bearings for the rear wheels on the 92 318is, it emptied me 1300CAN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)