BMW Werkz banner

loud engine noise and check engine light

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dutchbmw 
#1 ·
A friend was driving my 318 today on the freeway and tells me all of a sudden there was a loud noise coming from the engine and the check engine light started to flash. He pulled over and popped the hood to see the engine shuddering badly. I have had this car for 2 years (120Kmiles) and not had a jot of trouble from it. Last summer it went through a BMW class 2 service and it has had regular oil maintenance.
I have had it towed to the garage (ex BMW mechanic) and he checked the plugs to find one of them obleterated. He is now trying to work out whats going on. Anyone any idea?

#5 ·
......plugs to find one of them obleterated. He is now trying........

What does 'oblerated' mean? If it means the plug was broken, it gonna cost you lots of $$$ :goodness:

I also had this problem (NGK plug) and I'd taken my car to the BMW dealer for an compression test. The cylinder with the broken plug had less compression, and there was an increase of oil use. (No blue-ish smoke in my mirror, but you could smell it :p )

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.