BMW Werkz banner

Lost power today...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dutchbmw 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I went with a couple of friends to the cinema today and while I was driving I notice that I was decreasing some power. The economy gauge moved to 15 L/km (normal 8-10 L/km @ 120 km/h) and I feel the decrease of power. :wtf I kept on driving, but easier than I normally does. Finally we where in Eindhoven and I had parked my car for the time we were in the cinema. After the movie (and before we went for home) I have checked the oil level. This was a little below the minimum. I'd filled the engine with oil (Shell Helix 5W-40) and everything was OK when driving home.

The point now is: 2 weeks ago I'd filled the engine too with this oil, and today it was below the minimum! The outside temperature is still climbing (today 25 Celsius = 77 F) so I guess that's the cause. I didn't have this trouble last winter, even the oil I have smelled by the end pipes.

What should I do? Renew the oil with thicker one? Any suggestions......... :cry
I've been lucky nothing is damaged....

I would appreciate any help! :help

#2 ·
Leave a newspaper under the car when you park it, and try to use the same one everywhere you go. It will be a little akward, but it will help you locate a leak. If there is no oil on the paper, then you must be burning that oil. BMW says normal oil consumption is up to 1qt per 1000 miles. 1qt in 2 weeks is way above normal.

#5 ·
The higher the temperature, the thicker the oil should be. Go with 5W-50. What are you using now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.