Loose Gas Cap - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:31 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gonzonick is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello everyone im new to the forums. I got my 93 318is around september. only problem i had was the window motor was trashed on the right window so i needed to buy that. I have a problem with my gas cap. i think its the spring that has lost its tension but the cap will not stay shut when i close it back up. any suggestions on how to fix this or what to do? Also since i got the car the ABS light has been on. I know this is definitly not good and you can feel it in the wheel. When applying the breaks you can feel the wheel shake a little seems like the breaks are alternating to each wheel or something? Any help would be much appreciated thanks a lot guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:34 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
welcome to the forums.

first off do you mean the door for the gas cap or the gas cap itself? if its the door, lubricate it maybe it will solve the problem, mine was sort of like that where it would pop open too easy,then after i lubed it up, it had that snap again.

as for the abs light,and your braking problems, i would personally get a professional to check that out, only because the ABS system is a tricky thing and advice on how to fix it on the internet can be very vauge and missleading.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gonzonick@Jan 25 2005, 01:31 AM
Hello everyone im new to the forums. I got my 93 318is around september. only problem i had was the window motor was trashed on the right window so i needed to buy that. I have a problem with my gas cap. i think its the spring that has lost its tension but the cap will not stay shut when i close it back up. any suggestions on how to fix this or what to do? Also since i got the car the ABS light has been on. I know this is definitly not good and you can feel it in the wheel. When applying the breaks you can feel the wheel shake a little seems like the breaks are alternating to each wheel or something? Any help would be much appreciated thanks a lot guys.
[snapback]278659[/snapback]

about the abs problem..
first off, is the ABS light on, of just the brake lining light? i dont remember if they have different lights.

but first, if your brakes vibrate, then youll need new rotors, pads and most likely calipers, change them in set. my car had horrable steering vibration it would pull to the side and all the bad stuff. then o replaed rotors and pads, no good the problem still there. so got rebuild calipers, o now it feels like a bmw. what happens is that the calipers get old, and the elaing ring, either leaks or it makes the piston to become stuck, not retracting..

then while youre doing the brakes, check to make sure the pads sensor are good, and that the connector plug is also clean and goo contacts,. do the same contact check for the abs speed sendor on each wheel. and if you have the bentley manual, is will have a procedure on how to test the seed sensor for the abs.

also inside the engine compartnent right next to the brake reservoir there is a brake travel sensor that is mounted on the brake booster, that round black thing next to the fuse box. that sensor can go bad. and this sensor tell the abs system how hard are you pressing that brake based on pedal travel..this sensor is part of the abs sytem..

them is it still doing funny stuff. take glove box out and check to see if the abs electrial conections are good, make sure you unplug battery first.

then if nothing of this helps. most likely your pump is shot.
what fails on this pumps are not the electrical aturaors itself but rather the electrical wires that drive the energy to them inside the pump, it can be rebiult, and there are articles about it on the net. if needed ill send it to you./
but here is the warning, BMW does not do this because of liability, but is totally possible.
but if prefferedm you can get a new abs pump or used one on ebay. it is as your choice..

well if any questions, just ask..

have a good one.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
oh thanks a lot for the info. Yea its the ABS light that is on constantly. The guy who changed my belts told me it was the rotors too i think im gonna check that out then. As for the Gas cap it is the lid that i am talking about. I was told that the metal spring has lost its tension because the lid will not stay shut on the car it will just wobble about open a few inches sometimes.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas@Jan 25 2005, 11:22 AM

about the abs problem..
first off, is the ABS light on, of just the brake lining light? i dont remember if they have different lights.
[snapback]278808[/snapback]
they are two different lights.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious+Jan 25 2005, 01:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Furious @ Jan 25 2005, 01:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-victorgallas@Jan 25 2005, 11:22 AM

about the abs problem..
[snapback]278808[/snapback]
they are two different lights.
[snapback]278890[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

ok just checking. thanks

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
um so any clue on what i should do about the gas cap panel? somehow tighten the spring or something?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzonick@Jan 26 2005, 04:12 PM
um so any clue on what i should do about the gas cap panel? somehow tighten the spring or something?
[snapback]279737[/snapback]

just get a new gas cap..
isnt it loose?

they dont go for much.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hahaha its not the actual gas cap. it is the metal lid that folds open to get to the gas cap. the problem is that it doesnt stay shut and sways around.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzonick@Jan 26 2005, 08:11 PM
hahaha its not the actual gas cap. it is the metal lid that folds open to get to the gas cap. the problem is that it doesnt stay shut and sways around.
[snapback]279960[/snapback]

ooo the panel/./.. my bad..

thry doing waht furious said, clean it and put some lubricating oil, yeah mines being doing that.. it doest get to open but it does not show any spring resistance.. ill try that....

havea good one..

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)