Loose Back End - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
DarrellS is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys,
I have a 323i and the back end is very easy to get out of shape, or should I say it slides like it's on ice especially in the cold and damp. Is this likely to be a suspension/bushes issue or are they normally this skittish. I never really cane it as it's not that kind of car but it is disturbing that it gets out of shape so easily.
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2003 M5
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
can you give more details, am having a hard time understanding your issue...

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ok, basically my problem is that the rear end of my car steps out of line very easily, especially so when it is damp on the road or has been very cold and you get that light frosty effect on the road. Even in the dry it feels like it's not happy and very wishy washy at the back. I was told that my rear bushes were about ready for a change but this feels more serious, I can't see the bushes having such a drastic effect on handling and it does step out of line very easily, so much so that I'm very cautious when i go around bends or roundabouts.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
pcy
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrellS@Jan 11 2005, 12:37 PM
Guys,
I have a 323i and the back end is very easy to get out of shape, or should I say it slides like it's on ice especially in the cold and damp. Is this likely to be a suspension/bushes issue or are they normally this skittish. I never really cane it as it's not that kind of car but it is disturbing that it gets out of shape so easily.
[snapback]268900[/snapback]
If I understand your post correctly, the rear sways side-to-side easily.
First thing you should do is jack up one of the rear wheels, try to rock the wheel side to side as well as top and bottom. There should be no play. If there is some play in either of the case, you probably will need ball joints or trailing arm bushings. you may also want to test the rear shocks.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
pcy
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrellS@Jan 11 2005, 02:04 PM
Ok, basically my problem is that the rear end of my car steps out of line very easily, especially so when it is damp on the road or has been very cold and you
[snapback]268977[/snapback]

What is the condition of tires? are they bald?
When was the alignment done?

In icy conditions, do you gently press the gas pedal ?
Rear wheel drive cars' rear will fish tail if not careful on icy conditions.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been reading a lot on another forum about this same problem, as i have it too. From what i can gather, it very well may be the RTAB's (rear trailing arm bushings)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but does it feel like the back end likes to jump out when cornering, and especially when going over bumps. I know in my car, hitting a bump in the road through a turn *almost* feels unsafe ... because the back end feels so very loose..

I'm due to replace all shocks and struts, RSM's, and maybe springs, so i may swap out RTAB's in the process if new shocks/struts doesn't solve the problem

Note: There is at least one or maybe two very good DIY write-ups for RTAB's on bimmerforums.com. From what i've heard and read ... it can be a royal pain, take some time, and requires a few special tools, but it can be achieved without any major headaches.
ajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the feed back. My gut feeling is it's a rear bush issue. It is very jittery through bumpy corners to the point I don't feel safe taking them quickly and I can get the back end out without too much gas whether it's icy or just damp.

Anyway I'm inclined to replace the shocks and springs along with the rear bushes and just have done with it. I'll let you know when I've had it doen and what the resultant drive is like.

Thanks
Darrell
Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325i
Photos:
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
when the bushings on the rear fail that is waht you feel, on my car i've rebuilded te whole suspension, new spring, shock, ball joint, and bushings.

on the rear suspension there are 5 bushings per side.. and they are a pain to change..

but if you are a true DIY and have goo jackstands you can simply pull out the rear trailing arms take it to a shop and for a little money thell press the bushing in..

then reasemble evertything and most importantly get an aligment.

also make sure you have good tire treat.

the e36 suspension is a very good and very well made suspension, but after so many miles the bushing do wear out, this are considered replaceble parts on a car, just like a filter, but you dont do it that often..

make sure you get them change, my car handling was ok, but after changing it all, specially the bushings, o my gosh what diffrence, i know where the car is going, i feel the road very crisp and driving cannont be more fun...

to do this job it is a royal pain in the ass, specially the bushings, but is totally worth it.. o did them myself, i know what im telling you.

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
bmw323inewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 323i coupe as well and suffer from the same, although I have no traction control, there is nothing mechanically wrong with mine, just an excitable accelerator foot.
so I take it easy on the gas until i'm back in a straight line again then floor it
i've nearly lost it 10 or so times, not at any speed, once I had all 4 tyres skidding when I went round a roundabout, that was scary, but straighten themselves out OK if you get it right ( Think my Gran Turismo playing may have helped there)
Old 01-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325i
Photos:
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
Quote:
Originally posted by bmw323inewbie@Jan 22 2005, 12:32 PM
i have a 323i coupe as well and suffer from the same, although I have no traction control, there is nothing mechanically wrong with mine, just an excitable accelerator foot.
so I take it easy on the gas until i'm back in a straight line again then floor it
i've nearly lost it 10 or so times, not at any speed, once I had all 4 tyres skidding when I went round a roundabout, that was scary, but straighten themselves out OK if you get it right ( Think my Gran Turismo playing may have helped there)
[snapback]276745[/snapback]

just so you know, when bushing fail, you wont hear noises or arithing that you can look at it and see that it has fail..

when they fail, they let the part that they are attached to move, flex, more than thaye are supposed to.. so althoug you say there is no noises and that everything seems to be on place,, your bushings might just be gone...

and the control arm and trailing arm are the buhsings that fail first,, so if your car is around 100k and it never got a bushing replaced... you should consider it..

i know what you meand by everything seeming ok, mine was the same..
everything seeming nice and thigh under there...

but after getting the whole thing replaced,, o my god.. the drive is so swell..

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)