Looking For Suggestions For Two Things... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetblack is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this really annoying rattle sound from under the car. It is driving me nuts. I am embarrassed to drive the bimmer right now. So, yesterday, I got underneath to have a look. I was hoping it would be my exhaust heat shield, and I was gonna just rip the damn thing off. I found that every flange and bolt on my exhaust from the end of the cats to the tips of the muffler are rusted out. Not just a little bit, they are now just nubs, unrecognizable as bolts.
Soo, I'm thinking with 140K on this thing, it's probably time for replacement of everything from the manifold back.

Where is the cheapest place to buy a new cat section? Has anyone tried any of these ebay ones that are only about $300?

Also, I want performance, but I hate loud exhaust. I'm almost positive the UUC will be too loud. What is the quietest cat back system, or should I just remain with stock or maybe M3?

P.S. I didn't find the rattle after all that. Could it be something with the brakes?
jetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
There's a shield over the O2 sensor part. It keeps the sensor on its working temperature. I ripped it off from my previous car cuz it was getting on my nerves.

You can't really increase the performance curve by only changing the last part of the exhaust system. I've seen graphics of a dyno before and after an aftermarket muffler. IMO it's only for a better look and a sportier sound.

Make sure to get a good working cat, because it's a part of the engine management system. When it is going bad the O2 sensor will send a signal to the ECU. The engine goes at the distress setting then which means a higher fuel consumption and a less smooth running engine.
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks. My car isn't running very smooth, even after new plugs. I am hoping the new exhaust will fix it. So, anyone have a suggestion for somewhere to pick up the catalytic converter?
jetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I've asked this same question numerous times here, and haven't gotten any responses. I'm about ready to get a CATCO Universal Cat from Ebay, and see if it works. If I remember correctly, they are about $40. Keep us informed.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)