looking between the M3 and RX7...maybe - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
solomon is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I am new here and wanted to ask the experts on the M3. I am a huge RX7 (93-95 FD) http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.p...threadid=304681
and have been looking into another car to chose between the two; RX7 or M3.

Looking and reading about the M3 I have seen that there is a great area of upgrades and out of the box fun with the M3. I would like to know what would be the best year for the buck to look into getting and what I can expect from the M3, cost of upkeep (will be less than any RX7 Im sure) and anything else I can learn before I decide what car to get. I would like to spend around 20-23k for a car, and if it was less I would just use the money for upgrades.

Thank you all for your help!
Britten
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
95 has a 3.0 liter displacement
96> has a 3.2

you can probablly get a decent M3 for roughly 17k. I would go for a 96-99.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
What can I say........ M3's are faster and looks nicer. I think there are more mods for BMW than Mazda, but a M3 is just the top which need none.

Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Despite the larger displacement of the years after 95, the 95 had OBD1 so it would be a little easier to tune because of less restrictions from the computer. But you could get one of the 3.2 and do an OBD1 conversion (quite common) for some extra power.

Kevin

P.S. Try posting this in the M forum heading for more opinions.

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
So I was going to look at getting a 97'. But for the cash and what I want to do in basic mods an performance and fun to drive, the 95 would be just as good? I mean do I spend the cash on the older car with more miles then to upgrades, or just spend that cash on a 97' and do mods here and there as we go. is it the dog food or the dog I spend the money on. Meaning if you do not know, upfront cost or on going cost?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Personally, if I were you I'd set a good price that you're absolutely willing to pay for an M3. Then start looking in your area for one that meets the price. Either way you get an awesome car. If you get a 95, cool it's OBD1. If you get a 97, cool you get the 3.2L. It's all just a matter of preference to you.

Kevin

Old 05-14-2004, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I do like the look and feel of that rotary engine, though. That is a car in black or red with some big sticky rubber....those are fun .

It's all what ever you want. The ///M car would be much more comfortable and last longer given the same driving tendencies, but the GenIII would do things an e36 ///M car wouldn't.

I would love to have such a dilema
Old 05-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
I love the Rx-7. For me though it would be a question of practicality. I couldn't have the RX-7 for a daily driver. THe suspension (R2) is way too rough for a relaxed drive of any length or a trip for that matter. You have limited people and cargo room. However, they are a blast to drive and as stated before you could have a lot more fun with it than the M3 if you know how to drive. Or you could end up in a lot more trouble if you don't. The M will hold up better over time. But there is more for the Rx-7 aftermarket than you might thinkg. I've seen several 400 bhp+ Rx-7s. You've got it easy because it's already turbo'd, so bigger turbos, better intercooler ect ect. However due to my needs, and the fact that I only have money for 1 car I would go for the M, it's more practical more refined, lots of fun too drive, perhaps not as sporty as the RX-7 but a good driver in each would make an interesting race.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
What is your decision?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well I have decided to look for a 95-97 coupe. Like all above, the FD is just to hard to keep running, and the M3 will go toe to toe with just a few bolt-on's and tunning. That and It will be my daily driver. So now I search.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
Great decision! Indeed, for daily driver the BMW is much better than the RX-7!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
BMWs very flexible.

daily drivers and good track cars too. especialy the Ms
Old 05-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
You won't be disapinted. Good luck with the search. Just be patient, you'll find yourself a good deal.

Kevin

Old 05-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWL2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWL2
VVVVVVVVVV :
Old 05-15-2004, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well now it just comes down to finding the car. I have the BMW dealer looking and I am should have my 00' Subaru Legacy sold here soon. I still owe like 12k on the car but wish I could turn it in as a down...kinda upside down if I go and do that.

So I am looking for a 95-97 under 50k miles or one over 60k but with all the maintance done. I hope I can find a color I like, anything maybe to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)