look what i found - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35
Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
look what i found

any truth to this? does it apply to e36 too?

will my car be significantly quicker if i get a light flywheel?

http://bmwnut.blogspot.com/2006/04/1...ance-mods.html
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2006, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
here you go this will help you understand clutches more..

taken from UUC website

Quote:
How does a lightweight flywheel work? Amongst the majority, there are two schools of thought concerning light flywheels. The first is that they do not contribute to power output. The second is that they do. Which thought is correct? In fact both, in a way, are correct.

If we measured the power output of an engine first with light flywheel and then again with the standard part on an engine dyno, no change in power will be seen to occur. At first it appears that the light flywheel has done nothing and was a total waste of cash. This is not the case. A dyno that shows max power at constant revs does not demonstrate what happens to an engine's power output in real life situations - like acceleration. If an engine is accelerated on a dyno (we are talking about a rate of around 2000rpm a second ) it would show a power output of around 20%-25% less than at the constant rev state.

The reason for this is that when accelerating a vehicle the engine not only has to push the total mass of the car but the internal components of the engine need to be accelerated also. This tends to absorb more power as the extra power is used accelerating the internal mass of the engine components and is why a motor accelerating on a dyno will produce less power than at constant revs. Also it must be remembered that the rate of acceleration on the engine internals is much greater that the rest of the car. This would then suggest that by lightening the flywheel, less power would be required to accelerate it and therefore more power would be available to push the car along.

Now, it may seen unbelievable that by removing a few pounds from the flywheel a noticeable difference to a 3000lb+ car’s acceleration will be made. In fact the difference is quite noticeable and the secret behind this is hidden within the gearbox. Everyone knows that cars accelerate at a greater rate in low gears, this is because a car’s gear box basically a mechanical lever and just like when using a leaver to lift a heavy object, the gearbox reduces the mass of the car that the engine sees. For example, in first gear an engine will see the car's mass as only around say 250lbs but the engine internal mass would still remain around 45lbs.

Last edited by Furious; 04-30-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
thanks. so it will make it faster. but where can i get one?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
i got my UUC stage 2 clutch kit with the 8.5lb flywheel from Chris at understeer.com or you can talk to our sponsor Active Autowerke II, AA has lightweight flywheels as well

http://activeautowerke.com/drivetrai...hp#e36flywheel
there are lots of options out there, but its a matter of preferance really, there are a few tradeoffs with a lightened flywheel like excessive flywheel chatter and you have to change your driving habits if you dont downshift when you come to a stop.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
flywheel chatter? does that just mean it would be a little noisier?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Photos:
yup
Old 04-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
i might sell one to you if you want... its for an m3 tohugh... so not really sure if it would fit, also if i want to sell it haha
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
i doubt it would fit. but ill buy it if it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)