Longevity/Preservation - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rborak318iS is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Longevity/Preservation

Hey folks, just wanted to of course talk about longevity and preservation. I've got a '94 318iS with about 155,000 miles and it runs like a champ, it isn't too happy on a cold start of a winter morning but it gets better as they day gets warmer and you drive it a bit. How could I make it feel better when it starts cold? It didn't used to do that when I bought it (around 50,000 miles ago). I just dread the fact that each cold start like that may be metal to metal. Anyway, what is the most mileage you all have heard an e36 getting? What are some good things to do to make it last longer? Obviously I know the common sense ones like using synthetic, getting it serviced when it needs to be and not just doing it whenever but does anyone know of anything that wouldn't normally be known? My dad says I drive it too fast, (fast for him is 75-80mph). He was talking about how he was in a vw beatle and his motor blew because he had gone 65 and I replied saying to him saying they were meant to go 35. Anyway, I just think this would be a good thing for all bimmer owners to talk about so I'd love to hear what you all think just about general longevity. Happy bimmering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
ahh... u live in new mexico ehh? is it that cold down there...??

changeing engine oil is the number 1 thing to do when u maintain a car that has 150k on it...

normal mantainence like, putting 91+ octane gas... changing fluids every so often, changing air filter changing spark plugs, ect...

just make sure when/if u have a problem.. u fix it asap.. because the longer u wait, the bigger pain in the ass it is to fix..

lets see some pics of that 318...

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I was in New Mexico a couple of summers ago. I had a hard time believing what they told me there: that many American's don't realize New Mexico is one of the fifty states of the Union. I'm not even American and I know that.

Cruzin is correct: just take care of the routine maintenance and fix problems promptly. My car, as far as I remember, is the e36 with the most miles of which I know. I have 186,000 miles on the odometer. The car runs well, although I have a few issues here and there (electrical problems at the moment), but mainly due to not knowing what kind of servicing it got from the previous owners.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Well it can get cold in New Mexico, some people have told me it can feel colder than New York City because of the wind chill It definately gets really cold in the mountains and all around Northern New Mexico. This winter it's been pretty mild so far, warm days of about 55 degrees and cold nights that get below freezing so its always that first start of the day thats the worst. I haven't really seen many people thinking its part of mexico but that is definately something people joke about here. 185,000 miles, that's pretty cool see I've decided not to sell my car because I want to see how many miles I can get out of it. I saw one 328i for sale on auto trader that had over 250,000 miles so I hope I can get that much out of mine. Who thinks its better just to drive it really slow and never rev it past about 3,000? Well anyway I will try and put some pics up. I am still kind of new to this post so I'm as familiar with it as I'd like to be but I will get some pictures pretty soon.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Gkamysz is an unknown quantity at this point
I think car longevity varies. I have a dodge truck with 198k and the original clutch. Everything mechanical is shot now, but it still drives. The only thing I ever put into it is a water pump and radiator. The engine (V8) saw 5000 RPM on a regular basis, and that's why I think it's worn.

I just bought a 96 328i from a guy who put 370,000 on a Ford Explorer, and my dad knows someone who has 400,000 on a Geo Metro, yes really.

There are always E36's in the classifieds around here with 150-170k on the clock.

The manual says not to let the car idle to warm up when it's cold. Let it run for 30-60 seconds, and start driving. Don't rev past 3k until the engine is warm.

Greg

97 328iS, Manual, Stock
#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah my friend has a volvo station wagon with 385,000 miles, that thing's a tank. Does anyone know how to post a picture of your car on here? I am not as familiar with this thread as I would like to be. And I had a question for you cruzin, what is the difference between the 323 and 325? I have heard the 323 has a 2.5 6 cylinder but I would think it should have a 2.3 or something. Does it have vanos? That would be cool to know, and aren't they fairly reasonable compared to others? Yeah, I change the oil every 3,000 or 3500 miles with a full synthetic. So anyways, take it easy folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)