A little help/knowledge - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belleville, Ontario
Car: 1994 BMW 318is
Posts: 1
Photos:
kap09 is on a distinguished road
A little help/knowledge

Hey everyone,

Had a friend of mine tell me ppl here know their stuff like no other and this is where he goes to get every piece of knowledge he needs.

I've got a couple things to ask.

One is, I just bought a 94 318is and it needs a little work, nothing major --mainly some body -- but I'm wondering what other cars are compatible with this one? I've looked online and there's people parting out 91-93's of the same as well as other years and models. I'm wondering if any of their parts would match up as well as maybe the 318i or others? If anyone has a list of compatibles that'd be swell.

Second is when driving the gauges cut out for 10-30secs every so often but kick back in. I've checked the fuses but have yet to get under the panel to see if it's a wire connection. So if someone's had this problem let me know how you've fixed it.

Lastly is the onboard computer doesn't work. Well the date and time do, but the temp display doesn't. Not sure if I've missed something, but again checked the fuses and they seem fine.

I just got the car 2 days ago and haven't had a chance to really get looking but other than that she's golden, nothing that effects the driving or anything. Just looking for some help/insight.

Thanks a million
Cheers,
Kap
kap09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
acid86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edwards AFB, S. Cali... unfortunately
Car: 1992 Bmw 318is (e36)
Posts: 123
Photos:
acid86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to acid86 Send a message via Yahoo to acid86
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap09 View Post
Hey everyone,

Second is when driving the gauges cut out for 10-30secs every so often but kick back in. I've checked the fuses but have yet to get under the panel to see if it's a wire connection. So if someone's had this problem let me know how you've fixed it.

Kap
Sounds like a short. Good luck chasing those Grimlins!
__________________
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
acid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: OH
Car: 95 ///M2.8
Posts: 2
Photos:
lookn4bimmer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid86 View Post
Sounds like a short. Good luck chasing those Grimlins!
I hate chasing electrical issues. Wiring nightmare...
lookn4bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator
 
johnnyBgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Posts: 3,325
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap09 View Post
Hey everyone,

Had a friend of mine tell me ppl here know their stuff like no other and this is where he goes to get every piece of knowledge he needs.

I've got a couple things to ask.

One is, I just bought a 94 318is and it needs a little work, nothing major --mainly some body -- but I'm wondering what other cars are compatible with this one? I've looked online and there's people parting out 91-93's of the same as well as other years and models. I'm wondering if any of their parts would match up as well as maybe the 318i or others? If anyone has a list of compatibles that'd be swell.

Second is when driving the gauges cut out for 10-30secs every so often but kick back in. I've checked the fuses but have yet to get under the panel to see if it's a wire connection. So if someone's had this problem let me know how you've fixed it.

Lastly is the onboard computer doesn't work. Well the date and time do, but the temp display doesn't. Not sure if I've missed something, but again checked the fuses and they seem fine.

I just got the car 2 days ago and haven't had a chance to really get looking but other than that she's golden, nothing that effects the driving or anything. Just looking for some help/insight.

Thanks a million
Cheers,
Kap
Welcome to the Werkz......

Body parts are mostly exchangeable on your e36 92' thru 98' as long as you match the 94' 318is body style, example coupe, sedan, etc.

As for the gauges......if all the fuses are ok, you have to remove the gauge cluster.....& check for loose connection.

link for removing the cluster:

DIY: Installing Silver Gauge Cluster Rings on E36 - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

Lastly the OBC they tend to crap out, & can be repaired:

OBC pixel and button fix DIY... - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum


jb
__________________
______________________________________
_______________________97 E36|Conforti Software|M50 Manifold|AFE|Borla|H&R| Bilstein |Eibach|Rockford|3.15 LSD
____________________________________________http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129109
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's some fun BMW knowledge... BimmerE39 Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk 4 08-19-2009 05:48 PM
Need Mechanincal Knowledge Help drakeriverboat 3-Series (E36) 0 06-12-2005 05:28 PM
Trunk lid opening without my knowledge!!!!! OneLuckyPuppy 3-Series (E46, E90) 12 05-21-2004 03:24 PM
ANYONE HAVE GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF ELETRICAL ON A 99 venomviper69 3-Series (E46, E90) 3 01-09-2004 11:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.